Chapter 19 - Taking Over

Start from the beginning

"Fuck you! You are the worst Cappo this family has ever seen and an even worse papà!" I shout to him and he points his gun at me.

"There is nothing stopping me from shooting you," he says.

"Shoot me then. That won't make you a better Cappo," I seethe. He glares at me for a moment before he turns the gun to the side and shoots it. Giovanni screams in pain and I look to see him fall to the floor with blood seeping out of his leg.

"Take them to a room," Antonio orders and we are all grabbed and taken to my old room. I don't fight because I don't want anyone else shot but I can hear Enzo screaming and shouting about his brother. I get literally thrown to the ground in the room as my cousins and Emilio are brought in behind me. They drop Giovanni onto the floor beside me and I quickly try to help.

"Get some shirts from the drawer," Emilio says and Luca and Matteo get them as Enzo kneels beside Giovanni's head and talks to him.

"Where is Leonardo's team?" I ask as I pace the room. Did they make it inside? Are they dead? Have they ditched us?

This can't be happening. He can't have known we were here! Unless he saw me and Luca yesterday. Oh fuck. It's my fault! We weren't good enough and now Gio is in trouble because of me. Antonio is right, I can never be a good Cappo.

"Snap out of it Vin! Get here and apply pressure!" Emilio shouts and I quickly kneel down and press onto the shirts tied around Gio's leg. He screams again as Enzo rests his head on his lap and tells him he'll be okay.

We hear scuffling outside the door and then it opens and Leonardo is pushed inside with a gash on his forehead. Matteo goes to help him as I bang on the door and shout for Antonio.

"Come and help Giovanni! Stronzo!" I shout but no one comes and the door is locked. "Cazzo!"

"Calm down!" Emilio shouts to me. I stop and look at him and see him looking just as stressed but handling it. I sigh and sit next to Leonardo on my old bed as he holds a shirt to his head.

"What happened?" I ask Leonardo, hoping he knows what went wrong.

"There was more security around the back and they killed my whole team," he answers with a sad look. He was very close to his team so he's grieving and now I feel even worse.

"I do not know what to do," I say as I drop my head into my hands.

"Just wait, if he didn't want us he would have killed us by now," Luca says and gives me a hug.

"What if Gio can't wait that long?" I ask as Matteo keeps pressure on the wound.

"He isn't bleeding too much, he will make it through the night," Matteo says. Enzo looks angry. He looks like he's about to kill someone.

After about ten minutes of us all waiting for someone to come get us, the door opens. Two security guards with guns pointed at me come inside with two other guards.

"We need the one who was shot," the largest man says.

"Over my dead body," Enzo says angrily.

"Move him," the guard orders and points the gun at Matteo.

"Enzo you've got to move or the rest of us will get shot," Matteo says. Enzo glares at him and refuses to move.

"Lorenzo move out of the way," I order as his Cappo. He looks down at a barely conscious Giovanni and stands up and takes a step back.

"Do not hurt him or I kill you," he says to the guards who picks up Gio and carries him away. My anxiety spikes as I worry about what they are doing with Gio. They leave and lock the door again as we all try to keep calm.

"We will take turns to stay awake," Emilio says after it has been a few hours of no movement outside.

"I will start," I say and get off the bed to let someone sleep there. Enzo sits against the wall with his head against his knees as he tries to sleep. Luca and Matteo share the bed as Emilio and Leonardo lay on the floor with a blanket.

Damian's probably freaking out. I should have been home by now so he probably knows something went wrong. What if I never see him again? I love him so much I can't live without him anymore. I don't even have my phone to call him, we all left them in the vans. I'm so stupid! I'm supposed to be the leader and I fucked up this badly!

Gio is shot. Enzo is breaking down after seeing his twin in pain. Leonardo lost his closest friends. Emilio probably hates me because of this, he was ready to follow me as Cappo and I've let him down massively.

This is all my fault.

———

I'm woken up from my place on the floor when the door opens and someone walks in. I sit up and see Antonio with some armed security.

"Where is Gio?" Enzo demands.

"He is fine. Now all of you get your hands behind you back and don't resist or Vin gets a bullet to the head," he says and I glare at him. We all cooperate and are escorted down the the large dining room which is has been emptied out.

My stomach drops when I see Damian tied to a chair with a black eye and blood dripping from his nose. I fight against the man holding my cuffed hands but I'm pushed onto my knees in front of Antonio. My cousins are all made to kneel beside me as I see Giovanni sat on the floor looking sweaty and pale with a bandage around his leg.

I look to Damian who gives me a weak smile but he looks terrified.

"You shouldn't have left your boyfriend unprotected," Antonio says. I glare at him and don't answer him. "So you've been gay this whole time? Where did I go wrong?"

"You were never a papà to me. You did not love me and neither did ma. You only had me so you could have an heir and that fucked me up, and it's all your fault," I say truthfully as I glance to Damian.

"And you think this man could fix you? You think being a whore and giving your ass to some fag will make you a good leader? Are you stupid?" He says with a satisfied smirk when my jaw ticks.

"At least I don't rape women to have children," I say and look him in the eyes. He punches me in the face and I groan.

"You're pathetic. Let's see how confident you are when I kill your boyfriend in front of you," he says and walks over to Damian with a large hunting knife. 

"No! Do not touch him!" I shout.

"Do you love him?" Antonio asks me with a look of disgust.

"I do. I love him more than I will ever love you," I answer bravely. Damian is trembling and looking at me with fear in his eyes. Antonio walks over to me and puts the knife to my throat.

"You are disgusting. You will never be Cappo and your cousins won't either. You are all going down together, especially you, Emilio. You were supposed to be my second in command, now you're nothing to me. Vincent, you are weak. Love makes you weak. I do not love anyone and that is why I am still successful," he says before he kicks me in the stomach and I fall to the side. I groan loudly as he kicks me in the face and sends my head backwards. His foot hits me in the stomach a few more times before I look to see guns to the back of all my cousin's heads.

He grabs my hair and looks me in the eyes with the knife pressed to my throat. I look at Damian one last time.

"You won't be missed," Antonio says and I close my eyes as the sound of a gunshot rings in my ears.