Ten Years and Ten Months Ago

Start from the beginning

Tulip squinted at Brianna. She didn't know what she was talking about but didn't want to admit to not knowing what a 'Keats' was. It was probably something or someone she should have known since she was now a sophomore but English lit wasn't her strong subject. She was a reader but just hated being told what to read especially if it was on a topic she didn't have a liking for.

"It's all good," Tulip assured, sitting her phone face down so her brother's text wouldn't yank her attention away from the occasion at hand. "I got your fave but it's probably cold, now." She carefully pushed the cream mug towards her as she hung her tote bag on the back of her chair.

"It's fine," Brianna wrapped her hand around the handle with a sigh then took a sip of the americano, "I'll pay you back."

"It's just five bucks." She swatted the kind gesture away.

Brianna lowered the mug back to the table as a pop song wafted in the java scented atmosphere. "What's up with the impromptu meeting. I thought you had to be at the library during this hour." She looked down at her silver link watch to remind herself of the time.

It was one and usually, Tulip would be on the top floor of the library working her way through her trigonometry course load or studying the required chapters for philosophy but today was different. Today was a special day.

"I have a surprise." Tulip beamed as she reached in the front pocket of her Jansport backpack.

Brianna's hazel eyes widened as she caught sight of the pair of rectangular pieces of thickly cut papers. "You got Trey Songz tickets!" She squealed, her shoulders dancing to the tone of Neighbors Know My Name no doubt. "Yes, Lord. I finally get to meet my husband."

"Naw. Not exactly. They are guys, though." Tulip held up the tickets. "One Republic and Foster the People."

Brianna's excitement dampened, "Bitch, what." She leaned over reading the bolden names to be sure it exactly read the names her friend and roommate proclaimed. "Tulip." She dropped back against the seat. "I don't know who these people are."

"I play them all the time," Tulip set the tickets on the table not faltering under her side-eye. "Apologize. Stop and Stare. Good Life. Secrets." She lists the songs housed in her iPod but the Communications major continued to blankly stare back at her. "Bri, really. Come on."

"I'm not." She shook her head like a defiant toddler.

"Please." She begged.

"Nope. I'm not standing in the Pavillion to listen to some people I don't even know." She shook her head. "You know how much gas that is?"

"Bri." She whined her name reaching across the miniature table. "I already bought the tickets. Plus, I'll be there, too. Come on. It'll be an adventure. We'll make priceless memories."

Brianna brought the mug to her lips but stopped short. "We can make the same memories at a Trey Songz Concert." She took a sip of warm coffee. "I'm sure there's someone that has the same strange taste in music on this campus. Post something on FaceBook."

Tulip peered at here, "Are you serious."

"Yes, you can't be the only one on-campus listening to white people music."

Tulip rolled her eyes, "Music is universal."

"See, there you go." She gestured to her with a smirk. "Go find a universal person at this university. I have faith you'll find some offbeat soul." She sincerely patted Tulip's hand. "You're a go-getter."

"Fine." Tulip nodded with a grin at her  friend as she grabbed her phone, "I'mma do just that."

"Good." She quipped. "Cause I just want you to have fun with someone who'll enjoy it as much as you because..." Her hand went to her chest. "I'm going to be a buzz-kill."

"Really, bitch?" Tulip jokingly said tapping the passcode on her phone.

"Really." She pushed back her chair and rose, "You want a muffin or something?"

"Yeah, you know what I like." She went to the Prairie View FaceBook page and composed a post.

Do you think Tulip's friend should've gone with her to the concert?

What's an artist you like that no one else in your circle of friends liked?