After doing the patterns, we replaced the large aneurysm into a tube. We had to stitch and it was difficult to do it as blood pops out from the ventricle with every beat. That’s why in order for me to perform the precise sutures, we had to fibrillate the heart, making it stop from beating for a couple of minutes. 

“Use the fiballator now.” I ordered. 

This procedure was full of irony for we have to stop the heart from beating in order for it to survive. Being a surgeon takes a lot of courage, bravery, and guts. Inside the OR is like a battlefield of life versus death. 

The surgeons were the soldiers against the grim reaper. It’s a tough battle but the fulfillment in knowing that one life was saved again, giving that person another chance to hope and dream is something that will keep you going. 

“Needle,” I ordered. Iniabot nila sa akin ang needle na may sinulid na naka attach. I started suturing the tube into its right place, making sure I was fast yet precise. Hindi ako pwedeng maging lamya-lamya. 

Kapag ang puso ay tumigil sa pagtibok, walang dugong dadaloy sa utak at kapag lagpas apat na minuto ay wala pa ring dugong dumadaloy dito, doon na mag uumpisang ma-damage ito. 

So, in surgeries, every second counts. You can’t operate if you are not mentally ready and sober because your patient’s life will be at risk. And a person’s life is not something that you could turn off and then turn it on whenever you want to. That’s not how it works. 

After two solid minutes of sewing, I managed to suture and close the hole. 

“Defibrillator,” I asked and one of the team hands me the paddles. I positioned it closed to the heart. 

“Defibrillate,” I announced. Nothing happened. 

“More joules.” I said. “Defibrillate.” I once again announced. 

Tila ba nabunutan ako nang tinik nang muling bumalik sa pagtibok ang puso ng pasyente. 

“The valves are working normally, the leaking of the aorta has been resolved. Nice! Job well done!” Dr. Ferrer announced while eyeing the movement of the heart through the monitor. I can also see that the patient’s blood pressure was getting back to normal. 

I sighed in relief. “O-Kay, let’s now close up the chest.” 

--

“Good evening, doc!” Ramirez the resident greeted me quickly before taking frantic steps to follow Dr. Sison. I wasn’t even given a chance to greet him back dahil sa kakamadali nito.

“How could you fucking let your intern do that kind of procedure? Parang hindi ka dumaan sa pagiging intern, Ramirez!” I heard Dr. Sison quietly hissed through clenched teeth as they take their frantic steps.

Ang dalawang iyon ay napakadalas magsabong. Dr. Sison often scold Ramirez ngunit halata naman na kapag nalunod itong si Ramirez ay si Dr. Sison ang unang-unang tatalon upang sagipin siya. 

I’ve been working in this hospital for just a year and yet I have managed to observe the staff here and create a good and strong reputation as well. 

I put the sip cup of my coffee on my lips as I continued walking. It was just me and my blue scrub suit again. I don’t even know where to go. That maze procedure that we did was my last surgery for today and it was already 1 AM and yet I still don’t want to go. I’ve been up for 36 hours but still, I couldn’t feel the exhaust. 

“Dr. Costa!”

Tila ba lahat ng dugo ko sa katawan ko ay nabuhay nang makasalubong ko si Dr. Costa. He was already an attending physician. Matangkad siya, semi-kalbo ang buhok na puro kulay puti na. But dang, under those white little hairs is a brain that is full of knowledge. He’s gone to many places…