Chapter 1

Zyrena's mind consisted only two things on that day. First, she received a letter from Uster School for the Arts stating she was qualified for admission. She wanted to study film in one of the most prestigious art school in the kingdom. This was her only Christmas, New Year and even birthday wish. And now her future rests on the single sheet of paper in her hands. Second, her twin sister, Delaney, will be sent to Asteria Academy for the Gifted. A place where chosen people with gifted abilities train to become the protector of Kingdom of Asteria. Delaney have been trained for this since she discovered her abilities when she was 8. It started with tiny sparks lingering on her fingers to generating deadly strong bolts of electricity. Every summer, Delaney went to training camp while Zyrena learned how to swim in the lake. Their dad built Delaney a special room to practice while Zyrena was given a tree house. The twins have different lives but both of them love each other. But as the years passed by, they grew distant. No longer sharing secrets or midnight gossiping in their room.

Zyrena stood outside her sister's training room. It was a small cabin with special walls located outside their house. She stood looking at the window while observing the blinding lights Delaney targeted on a dummy. Her last training at home. Zyrena eyed the piece of box she was holding, unsure if her sister would appreciate it. She knocked on the glass and Delaney paced towards her. The window that separated them made it look like they were staring at their own reflection. The same crystal amber brown eyes, fair skin and caramel brown hair. The more the years folded by, the more they mirrored each other's appearance.

"What is it?" Delaney said while catching her breath.

"I know it's kind of strange, but I made you a present." Zyrena handed her the purple wrapped box. Delaney's favorite color. She stared at the box with confusion.

"It's.. a farewell gift." I smiled.

"Just leave it in my room. I still need to train." Delaney said her words as she closed the door. Zyrena looked at the box resting on her palms. She never expected her twin to be excited about it but it crushed her a little. She knew from that very moment, both of them were going to walk on different paths.

***

Zyrena scrutinized the gray shirt hanging on her shelf and thought that would be fine for the farewell party. She shook her idea. The moment she stepped outside with that gray shirt on top of a pair of black jeans, her mother would kill her. Hesitantly, Zyrena decided to slip on a mustard short-sleeved dress which she promised she would never wear. The color made her eyes pop even more. But it was Delaney's party. And people will be there. Even though it will only be my parents, Aunt Marga and Sam and his parents. The thought of him brought a smile to Zyrena's face.

"Hey you! Finally decided to wear my gift I gave a year ago." Aunt Marga greeted her while holding a tray of salad as soon as she stepped outside the door. Zyrena sat on the table where everyone was already there. Zyrena saw a sly smile across Sam's face for he knew she wasn't the type of person who'd love to wear dresses.

"You need to tell me what have you done to my best friend or I'll crush you in my steel arms." Sam whispered as Zyrena sat next to him.

"Oh shut up, I can still beat you in climbing trees even in these." Zyrena glared at him.

The twins met Sam after they moved next to their house when his father retired as an Asterian guard. Sam also got a ticket to the academy for his ability to transform into a steel-skinned man. It scared the soul of Delaney when the three of them were playing at the tree house and Sam fell under the thick bushes. Zyrena went down but as he looked for the slightest bright yellow hair in the sea of green, a silver boy emerged. It was scary at first, but as Sam trained, he was able to control it. Despite his training, Sam would always spend his time with Zyrena. They would explore the forest, dive in the lake, or stargaze in the tree house. Zyrena looked at Sam as he was occupied by Aunt Marga's chattering. His emerald eyes shining under the light, dimples that formed whenever he laughed at almost everything, and his smile that made Zyrena's heart stop for a few seconds.