ROOM 13A

It's ironic how I ended up working at Star Voice Karaoke since I can neither sing nor do I enjoy modern music. I needed the money and the shift working hours suited my university schedule.

"My name is Crack," the manager introduced himself to the new recruits on our first day of work.

"What?" Mei Na, a short girl with boy cropped hair asked.

"Crack, you know that James Bond guy, Crack Daniel?" Craig replied.

A giggle escaped from the pretty girl who stood next to Mei Na. I later found out that Shaleen was Mei Na's sister, but they looked nothing alike.

"Ohh, Daniel Craig," Mei Na said.

I lowered my head to hide the smile on my face.

Craig frowned and stared at Mei Na for two seconds before he continued.

"This is Mark, the Assistant Manager," he gestured to the man beside him.

Towering over Craig, Mark was all muscle with every part of his body threatening to burst through his shirt and pants any minute. The three of us looked at each other and the nickname Hulk was born.

After the introduction, the nickname 'Crack' stuck for Craig. We soon discovered that you could tell the mood he would be in by the colour of his shirt on a particular day.

"I think Craig will crack today," Mei Na would often comment when he came in wearing a dark colour shirt. And she was always right. He would be moody and picked on every little thing that wasn't to his liking.

On the other hand, Hulk was the friendliest guy I have ever known. He loved to chat and he had so many stories to tell. Sometimes, I'd make an excuse to go away just to get him to stop talking.

Mei Na had something to say about everything. Her witty remarks never failed to brighten our day. Winning an argument with her would be like winning the lottery.

Shaleen was always immaculately made up and would arrived in the latest fashion trend before changing into uniform. It was no surprise that she became quite popular among some of the male customers who were regulars.

Other than Crack's moody days, all of us got along very well. The great company compensated for the long hours and bad singing we had to endure. All that changed for me after 14 February 2011.

That Monday, traffic had already started to choke the roads when I made my way to work for the 4 p.m. shift. I arrived five minutes late and headed straight for the staff room to change.

"...go through today's promotion menu one last time," Crack, clad in dark blue shirt, said in the middle of his daily briefing. He glared at me as I entered.

I nodded apologetically and joined the group as Crack continued, "Today, I have to take emergency leave so I won't be able to close shop. I need a volunteer to fill my spot."

One of the work place rules was at least two persons must stay behind to secure the shop lot after closing time and one of them must be a guy. Crack had insisted it was safety in numbers. Usually, he would be the guy and he rarely gave that responsibility to anyone else.

I glanced sideways at the girls. This was the few moments they were both silent at the same time. So, I volunteered, "I'll do it."

"Okay. You'll close shop with Mark tonight. Today, only four of you are on duty, so don't play play ah. Ask Mark if you need anything," Crack said before he dismissed the group.

The girls went out of the room while I headed to my locker. Crack and Hulk continued to talk in the corner.

"Sigh, of all the days, my wife have to give birth today," Crack grumbled.