TALAK TIGA

She kissed him gently on the lips and stroked his face. Tears streamed down his cheek.

"Don't cry, sayang. We'll always be together. Lovers forever," she whispered.

*

The sky lightened as Asrina exited the TTDI Botanic Park. She jogged past the primary school and ducked into the back alleys among the terraced houses – still quiet in the slumber of early Saturday morning. Soon, she crossed the main road and headed to Devi's Corner.

The mamak shop buzzed with activity. The roti man was working his station efficiently, tossing, stretching and toasting the dough to perfection for customers. The aroma of roti, curries and teh in the air was the best way to work up one's appetite, better than any workout.

Fifteen minutes later, Asrina paid for her breakfast and headed home – a corner unit along Jalan Abang Haji Openg. Trees and bushes thrived on the slope opposite the house, which made the area a little secluded, but that's the way she liked it – more privacy with no one peeping in.

As she walked past her neighbour's house, Asrina noted the red sporty Alfa Romeo parked in its porch and the lowered Japanese blinds at the windows. Her neighbour was in the air again, flying to some romantic destination. Asrina dreamt of being an air hostess once, traveling to new places, meeting interesting people, experiencing foreign culture and tasting exotic food, but not anymore. She was contented with her life now, and intended to keep it that way.

In the kitchen, Asrina laid out the roti canai and curry on a tray.

... Now and forever, I will be your man...

She hummed along to the song playing on the radio, smiling as it reminded her of the happiest days in her life.

*

It was the first kenduri Asrina attended after returning from the U.S. She had to be present for her best friend's wedding even though she did not know anyone else there. Spending most of her years in the U.S. after she turned 12, Asrina had lost touch with most of her childhood friends except Dinah.

There she was, wearing a brand new baju kurung, specially tailored for the occasion, sitting at a table with strangers. It was a typical Malay wedding held in a large community hall. Everyone seemed to know everyone else, and Asrina felt even more left out as constant chatter surrounded her while she nibbled at her plate of rice with ayam masak merah and cucumber pineapple salad.

Everything changed when one of Dinah's aunts came over to introduce her to Nasri. Asrina still remembered her first impression of the man. The baju melayu did not fit him well. His knees peeked out from the kain samping and the cekak musang collar seemed a little tight. The bulk of his body showed through the shiny silk cloth of the shirt. He looked like a kid who had outgrown his old baju melayu. Asrina smiled politely during the introduction, but she was really dying to burst out laughing.

"It's that obvious, isn't it?" Nasri asked as soon as the aunt left them at the table.

"What is?"

"I'm Arnold Schwarzenegger in Sudirman's baju melayu," he answered straight-faced.

"Perasan!" Asrina blurted out as she laughed loudly, drawing stares from the other guests at the table.

Malay girls should talk softly, always be polite and behave like a lady, her mother's voice rang out in her ear, but Asrina shut it out, choosing to focus on the man who had caught her attention. The kenduri was no longer dull as she discovered what a charming man Nasri was.