17. Your warmth

After a three week leave from the hospital, I was finally back. As I entered the hospital, the smell of it felt familiar. People usually hate the smell of hospital but strangely I didn't.

"Nandini." Just when I was about to enter my cabin, I felt a hand clasp on my shoulder and it didn't take me a second to realize it was Harshad.

"What is it?" I turned to look at him with a forced smile.

"Well congratulations." He said.

"Thanks." I paused. "When is the surgery of patient in bed no.5 scheduled?"

"Day after tomorrow if nothing goes wrong." He replied.

"Okay." I said before turning to leave but I stopped midways on hearing him.

"Had we not met through work, would things have been different between us?"

I turned to look at him before putting up a lipgloss smile on my face. "I am only putting up with you because we met through work."

He scoffed. "You are really mean."

"Well I haven't broken any of your bones. So I am still pretending to be sweet here."

Harshad had proposed to me in the last gathering in front of the whole hospital staffs. This move of his was so childish. I rejected him saying that we were just work colleagues.

Harshad left without saying a word. Finally I could breath in peace. I opened the door of my cabin and just when I entered the cabin, I jumped in my place on hearing the shrill popping sound. Before I even realized I was showered in flecks of confetti.

"Aryaman party poppers ain't allowed in hospital." I said as I shot a look at him and he grinned sheepishly. As I dusted away the confetti from my clothes and even my hair, he threw an arm around my shoulder.

"Well you told me rules are for breaking and so I did."

"What if the head gets to know about this?" I raised a brow looking at him.

"Well he is on a week leave." He grinned and I smacked him on his head.

"What was that for?" He whined, slightly rubbing his temple.

"In that case this congratulations is way too plain for me."

"Then- ahh-" He stopped midways tilting his head slightly as he looked past me. "Isn't that your husband?"

I followed his gaze, only to see Manik standing outside my cabin. "Manik!!" I was surprised on seeing him. "I thought you had left." I stepped closer to him.

"Uhh you forgot your phone so-" He said as he handed me my phone and I smiled. "Thanks."

"Ohh yeah! meet Aryaman." I introduced as I held Aryaman's arm and slightly pulled him infront. "He is also a heart specialist."

"Hey Manik. It's nice meeting you." Aryaman forwarded his free hand towards Manik but Manik didn't even buzz. That was when I noticed his eyes were fixed on my hand which held Aryaman's hand. Was he by any chance jealous?

Okay! I knew this was childish but strangely I found his gesture cute. "Manik." I called, breaking his trance and he with a forced smile shook hands with Aryaman.

"Nandini I have something to tell you." Manik said, before holding my hand and pulling me to his side. "If you don't mind could you leave us alone?" He looked at Aryaman.

Aryaman cut a look at me before nodding his head in 'ok' and leaving. Manik entered inside my cabin and looked around. "What did you want to say?" I asked with a poker face.

"Uh um well that I would come to pick you up later."

I crossed my arms around my chest. "You already told me that."

"Ohh well did I? I thought I didn't."

"Anyway you could have told me that in front of Aryaman."

"I just didn't want to." He shook his head lightly, looking at me.

"You were jealous, weren't you?"

"What for?" He looked away from me.

"You know better than me." I walked past him and sat on my seat. "Well I have patients to attend. So leave."

Manik made a bad face and instead of leaving he sat right in front of me in the patient's seat. "I am sick."

"You want me to believe that?"

He nodded his head ever so innocently. I cut a glance at my watch and there was still ten minutes left. Crossing my hands around my chest and reclining on the chair, I asked,"Is your sickness related with your heart?"

"Yeah it sure is. You know my heart has started beating twice it's speed when I am near to this one particular girl."He propped his chin in the palm of his right hand as he looked at me. "It seems to have a serious problem."

"Well that seems to be one serious problem. I guess I'll have to cut open your heart." I said with a poker face.

"Cut open heart- How could I forget you chose this profession because it gives you the right to do that!"

I let out a chuckle. "I told this to you when we first met."

"You annoyed the hell out of me that day."

"Well you only said I am good at raising blood pressure."

He stood up from his chair and reached me. Placing his hands on either side of my chair, he turned the chair towards him and leaned closer to me. I crossed my hands around my chest, slightly tilting my head.

"You are good at raising one more thing." His lips curved into a small smile, before he added,"My heartbeat."

"Where did you learn this cliche lines from?" I put up a straight face but inside I had been smiling. I could feel my heart flutter just at those words of his.

He covered the distance between us and kissed me, taking me off guard. That was sudden and unexpected. He pulled away. "You are my muse for that."

This time I couldn't hold back my smile. I was never like this or may be I was, just that I didn't show it. Instantly holding his collar and pulling him down a bit, I captured his lips.

His mouth felt so warm and his taste felt home. That was when I realized what warmth of people actually felt like. This feeling was something I felt only with him.

*****

Okay so you might feel Nandini is surrounded by dozens of people and that she has her friends and family. So how doesn't she know how warmth of people feels like?

Well if you have noticed even in between a dozen of people, although she smiled and acted cheerful, she felt lonely and at times even left out. You might ask why? Well that's how feelings are and that's how some people are. And regarding her family, they never had time for her. Her dad was busy handling the business and her mum was most of the times sick and under medication.

****

So I don't know how the update is? Well hope it was worth reading.

P.S: Life feels tiring most of the times. But I guess that's how life is.

Stay safe. Stay happy.
Love ♥️
Aaku