Chapter 15

Clarke:

"What? What do you mean they're here for me?"

Roan stood there quietly. Our eyes met briefly but that's all it took.

Oh. They're here for me.

The realization hit my face a moment later and Bellamy and Roan understood that I knew.

"Raven leave."

"What?" She had anger and confusion on her face but most of all pain. I knew I was hurting her but being involved in with what was about to unfold could hurt her more. "I'm a part of this I'm not leaving."

"Raven if you trust me then leave. You have to leave." She stood for a moment deciding if she wanted to fight me anymore or give in. She gave in. With a heavy sigh she left in a rush, slamming the door on her way out.

Me Roan and Bellamy stood silently wait for another to talk. I knew I had to start the conversation though.

"Okay. So they're here for me."

Roan nodded. Bellamy looked as if he didn't completely understand the situation but he understood the seriousness of it. An army was sent here to kill me there was no outrunning this time. "Okay."

"We could sneak you out tonight, you could go find Jaha and Murphy." Bellamy spoke up. Roan remained quiet in the corner of the room leaning against a table.

"I'm not leaving my people." I found a chair next to me and sat down. My whole body was tense. I felt like all the air in the room had suddenly disappeared. "If I leave they'll still attack the camp and everyone will die for me. I have to turn myself over." God this is never gonna end. One crisis after another. 

"There's another way." Roan says turning around to face the window. His voice was low and full of gravel. As if he had to force himself to make the words form. 

Bellamy:

"Well what the hell is it!" I yell when he doesn't elaborate.

"Another way for what?" Clarke asks calmly.

"To not have war and not have you killed." His face is still trained out the window. 

"Well what is it!" I yell again.

"She... she has to get married." We all stand in silence.

"Excuse me?!" Clarke bursts.

"It's complicated but it could work."

"How would me getting married save my life?" Roan sighs turning back to face only Clarke. His back now leaning nonchalantly against the window. 

"If you marry someone it's the same as getting killed by someone. Whoever you marry will take your power away."

"What kind of sexist bullshit is that. I'm sorry I'm still confused. What?!"

"It's an old tradition. When you get married your power is no longer yours it's shared with you and your partner. Once the assassins see that you're married and your status gone there'll be no reason to kill you." He surveyed our confused looks. "We take marriage very seriously that's why you don't see many 'grounders' married. It's sacred. We see it as a joining of souls."

Clarke took a deep breath, "...I have to get married?"

"Clarke you don't have to do anything you don't want to." I chime in still trying to process.

"What are my choices? Dying. Or my friends dying in a war for me. Bellamy you know me. You know I'd gladly sacrifice myself if it meant no war." She's right I know her, and that is exactly what she would do. "After all I've done I deserve it." She mumbles. 

"So I'm getting married." She stood up straight. "To who then?" She will not sacrifice herself, not while I'm here.

"I will." It slipped out of my mouth before I could catch it.

"Bellamy?" Fuck. 

"If it means you don't get killed then yes." Yes I would marry her. It's life or death its not a big deal. 

"Bellamy you can't. Whoever I marry it won't be a real marriage obviously, it'd just be for show but you still can't do that to Gina. What if people see you and Gina together and find out the wedding was a fake. And I can't ask you to leave Gina. Not when you're happy." Fuck. 

"Well who then?"

"I'll do it!" Roan booms cutting me off. Clarke whips around to face him.

"What?" She says as he steps closer taking hold of her shoulders. Instinctively I step forward.

"Do you remember the night at Polis. In the room." She nods slowly. The intimacy in Roans eyes is something I'd never seen before. I was almost shocked he was even capable of it. "You saved my life. You have many times. And it's time for me to save yours."

"When the news spreads it'll reach your mother. She'll come looking for you."

"I'm going to protect you Clarke. My wife or not I will protect you." I felt my jaw involuntarily clench.

"The wedding will be fake right? It doesn't have to be real?" I chime in getting a sick feeling in my stomach. Clarke turns to look at me but Roan remains cemented to her.

"It will have to be very real and very public for it to be believable and for the news to spread. We will really have to be married."

"Then what, divorce?" He can't be serious.

"Like I said," He gritted out at me, "Grounders don't marry often but when we do it's for life. We don't believe in divorce. We will be married till death."

"Roan I can't ask you to-"

"You saved my life Clarke. I've let you down so many times before I want to make up for it. It's the very least I can do. And no I haven't known you as long as SpaceBoy here but I do know you wouldn't let anyone die for you, and I'm not going to let you give yourself up so this is your only option."

"What if you fall in love with someone. I can't ask you to give up a life with them."

"Same goes for you."

Clarke laughed a sad laugh. "You don't have to worry about that." She gave me a sad sideways glance I'm sure alluding to her tragic past.

"As soon as we announce the engagement people will attack it'll be their last chance to take your power before I do."

Take her power. Everything in his words sends fury through my body. He was really going to marry her. "No. No this is fucked up Clarke you can't do this." Venom laced my words.

"The alternative is my death is that what you want." I could tell she was shocked by my reaction but what was I supposed to do.

"That's not what I want and you know that." I yelled back.

"Really? Cause it's hard to tell sometimes." She shoved past Roan who reached out to stop her.

"What's that supposed to mean."

"Admit you're still mad at me for leaving. Admit you wished I'd never come back!"

I didn't. Not for a second through all the violence and pain did I wish she hadn't come back. Every waking second I wanted her next to me to be sure she never left again. But I didn't say that. Instead I shook my head and fled the room entirely. I couldn't do it. I couldn't be in there with her looking at me like that. Or with Roans hands on her.