Chapter 34 - The Sword

Start from the beginning

"That there's been an ongoing communication between the System and these aliens hidden from us?" said Alec. "And Miss Kinski is part of it?"

"That's enough. It will do us no good coming up with theories. Let us just keep walking," admonished Phil.

Alec saw Lindsey had fallen behind. He stopped on his tracks and waited for her to catch up.

"Hey, what's on your mind? Are you tired?"

She smiled at him. "Nothing, I was just thinking about that girl, Ava Kinski,"

"Hmm? What about her?"

She looked towards the sea of stars outside a bay window. "It was so brave of her....so brave, for coming out here for her father."

'Well, you really could not figure that girl out,' Alec countered in his thoughts.

Lindsey turned to him with a curious expression. "Her father is really the great scientist Kinski? But I didn't knew he had a daughter!" she said.

Well, the System kept a lot of secrets, his thoughts murmured further. "Me neither. I didn't know until I was given this mission,"

At that, Lindsey blurted out. "I still can't believe you are WDF!"

"Yeah, I am sorry I couldn't tell you,"

"Oh you didn't have to, after all, you were on a mission,"

"Well I guess it is time to return this to you," Alec resolved as he pulled something out of his pocket.

Lindsey immediately recognized the necklace Alec held out to her.

"My necklace!" she gasped and grabbed it, holding and staring at it longingly in her hands for a few seconds, when it dawned on her.

"You're the one who rescued me in Alaska!"

"Ah yeah, that's me," Alec said sheepishly, scratching the back of his head.

Lindsey stared at him for a few seconds in disbelief.

"I can't believe it,"

She went on. "I always wondered who I needed to thank - it was you all along."

"Yeah, sorry I couldn't tell you,"

"No it's okay. I understand. And thank you for returning my necklace, you have no idea how important this is to me,"

"Oh yeah, about that, I'm sorry. I just needed a chance to --"

"My mother gave it to me," Lindsey went on, not hearing Alec. "She said that it's been passed on from generations to generations. Aside from that fact, this necklace, there's something about it that I can't place. It feels like it's more than just an object. That it's a part of me,"

She cut herself short. "Oh sorry, I am blabbering. You were saying?"

"No, it's okay," Alec encouraged.

Lindsey welcome being able to talk more. "Well, it's the same with many things, about the past, I seemed to have a penchant for what was in history that is why I wanted to be an archeologist. Well, probably mainly because my uncle is one. His works has always been fascinating to me."

She drew the necklace up over her head and around her neck.

"Someday I intend to find the roots of this necklace. This crystal pendant---no jeweler can somehow recognize it. My mom says she doesn't know either."

She looked up at him. "Hey, speaking about Alaska, how did you find me that day?" Without waiting for an answer, she went on. "But then again, knowing that you're a flyboy, I think I have an idea how," Then her eyes suddenly widened in realization. Her head jerked towards him. "What did you see that day?"