10: Cyrus's Downfall

The spring flowers were blossoming in the light breeze under the pulsing, golden sun. Cyrus was sitting outside just watching the flocks of birds passing by. He hadn't seen much of Jonah since that Friday a few weeks ago. Cyrus's birthday was in two days and he was really excited. He picked his bag up and started his journey to school. He saw Buffy stood on her phone and went to join her. He peered over her shoulder and saw she was texting Marty.

"What you doing?" He shouted scaring the life out of her.
"Don't you ever scare me like that again!" She started hitting him with her bag. Cyrus couldn't stop laughing.
"We're going on a date tomorrow," She smiled.
"Aw Buffy I'm so happy for you!" He squealed.
"Thanks cy, anyway how's you and Jonah." She asked. Cyrus sighed.
"I don't really know, he still has a girlfriend for all I know." Cyrus replied.
"Didn't he kiss you the other week?" She asked.
"Yeah but I don't think it meant anything." He added.
"I don't know Cyrus, he seemed really comfortable with you that lesson." She said.
"Yeah I guess we'll see what happens." He replied.

The school felt quiet today which was nice. Andi and Buffy had to hand in their homework early so Cyrus said he'd wait outside the lockers for them. He sat there just people watching but wasn't prepared when a boy in a mint green jacket laid against the lockers next to him.

"Look who it is," he said.
"Go away Jonah." Cyrus replied.
"Did you just magically forget about our secret?" He asked in a slow tone.
"Don't care, it's my birthday in two days and I don't need you ruining the run up to it." Cyrus said rolling his eyes. Jonah stood away from the locker and stared Cyrus in the eyes.
"It's your birthday! In two days!?" He asked.
"Yes, and?" Cyrus replied.
"I guess I'm going to have to be nice to you then huh." Jonah smirked. He handed Cyrus a small card and strolled off to his friends. Cyrus tucked the card in his pocket to look at later on. Andi and Buffy returned shortly afterwards and they got to lessons.

Their first lesson was science again which meant sitting next to Jonah. Cyrus walked in and saw Jonah already sat in his space. He took a seat and started working.
"You haven't texted me yet Cyrus." Jonah said.
"I don't even have your number, how could I?" Cyrus replied.
"You didn't look at the card did you." He said. Cyrus picked the card up from his pocket and saw Jonah's phone number printed on it in gold.
"That's a bit fancy don't you think?" Cyrus said putting the number in his phone.
"That's standard Cyrus, you'll come to learn that." He smiled.
"Oh your keeping me are you?" Cyrus joked.
"We'll see on your birthday." He replied.

Cyrus had a confused look on his face.
"What do you mean Jonah?" He asked.
"I want you to come to my house on your birthday." He simply said without a tone.
"Um are you sure, what about your girlf..." Cyrus was cut off.
"We have things to discuss, with that being one of them. Don't worry I'll do all the hard work organising, you just trust me." Jonah smiled resting his hand on Cyrus's shoulder.
"I'll think about it." Cyrus said smiling. Jonah returned a bright smile that gave Cyrus butterflies in his stomach.
"Your cute when your nervous." Jonah said putting a hand in Cyrus's hair to style it. Cyrus blushed at the gesture.
"Seriously, blushing again? This is supposed to be a secret yet here you are!" Jonah chuckled before going to the front of the class to ask his teacher for something.

The rest of the day went really slowly. Cyrus thought it was because his birthday was coming up. He was waiting for Buffy so they could walk home together but Jonah turned up instead.

"Hey Cyrus," He said smirking.

"Oh no what have you done?" Cyrus panicked.

"What do you mean 'What have you done' I haven't done anything! Well except plan your birthday..." His smile was so big Cyrus wondered how his face muscles could handle it.

"What! what have you planned?" He asked.

"Well, firstly I thought you should hang out with your friends in the morning since it is technically your day." He started.

"Then at exactly 6:00pm, you need to be outside school. I will pick you up and we will go out for dinner. Then, we will drive back to my house so I can show you around and introduce you to my parents." Jonah listed off.

"WHAT!? Meet your parents, we're not even dating!" Cyrus exclaimed.

"Don't you think I know that? You'll be titled as a good friend of mine." Jonah explained.

"Wow I feel so honoured," Cyrus replied sarcastically.

Jonah looked around for a second and saw Buffy coming towards them.

"I'll see you soon Cyrus Goodman." He finished and walked away without any contact this time.

Buffy came over and smiled sadly at Cyrus.

"That didn't look very happy Cy, I'm sorry." She said.

Cyrus was about to tell her everything but Jonah's voice came from the other side of the gate.

"Don't say a word Cyrus, we aren't even friends." he whispered.

"What, no we're not even friends Buff, and i'm not gay." He said to her.

But Cyrus knew more than anyone that Jonah's influence had changed that. Cyrus took a deep breath and told himself.

"I think I love Jonah." And nobody knew.