"Just you wait?" Sirius brows furrow at my words. "What's that supposed to mean?"

I blink and quickly catch my scarecrow before it tap-dances off the desk. "Er, nothing. Plus, shouldn't you be practicing your spellwork too?" I point out, hastily trying to change the subject. "N.E.W.T.-level spells aren't exactly supposed to be easy."

"Already did." He makes his scarecrow do an admittedly very impressive pirouette as if to emphasize his point before continuing, "And seriously though. Has Sonata been talking to you about me?"

My eyes snap to him probably a little faster than they should have. "Uhhhh... no?"

Sirius raises an eyebrow.

"Okay, fine," I admit. "She may have mentioned you once or twice."

Or fifty.

"About what?" he asks slowly, still looking skeptical. "You know you shouldn't believe everything she says right? Half of the stuff she says is for fun and the other half is a joke."

Actually that's totally true. But still... this whole feelings thing is between me and Sonata, not him.

"And all of it is none of your business," I decidedly retaliate. "Why are you so interested?"

"Because we already know where misunderstandings get us, Cecilia!" Sirius says, throwing his hands in the air in frustration. "Wouldn't you rather hear everything from me instead of your sister, who clearly doesn't take any of this seriously enough to tell the truth?"

"Well..." I bite my lip, turning away from him momentarily.

As I try to buy myself time to think of some cogent reply, my focus falls onto the opposite end of the table again. Sonata and Lily appear to be having some animated discussion about various spells and products for hair styling, but the two who actually catch my eye are James and Remus. My eyes narrow as I watch them curiously.

"Sirius and Cecilia, mate. Seriously, do it. It'd be hilarious."

"Yeah, hilariously not funny. They'd kill us. If you want it to happen, you do it. Let's see you try."

"Fine, I will!"

"Uh huh."

"Moony, I will... Really."

"Yeah, sure you will."

"I'll really do it!"

A hand grabs my shoulder. "Cecilia, honestly—"

I finally turn away from Remus' and James' usual strange antics to face Sirius again. "It's about the engagement, alright? That's what we're talking about! Happy now?" I blurt out in exasperation.

Sirius eyes widen and his hand drops from my shoulder. "What about the engagement?"

"None of your business!" I repeat, now getting annoyed. "It's between Sonata and me and I don't want to talk about it, okay? It's my problem!"

"Then it's my problem too!" Sirius says, sounding irritated himself. "If you haven't noticed, the engagement is between you and me, not you and your sister!"

For some reason, his words make my cheeks flush, but I try to ignore it. "Okay, well, not this time," I answer firmly. "I just have to talk to her about it, alright? It's kind of complicated and I just have to figure out what I want to say to her. I mean, I'm sure you know she really likes you. But everything is just extra complicated now because I don't know tell her about how I—" My mouth snaps shut.

"About how you what?"

My face immediately turns a bright red. Me and my fat mouth. Did I seriously just almost tell him that I need to convince Sonata that I like him more than she does? As much as Sirius has joked around about our feelings for each other, I've yet to actually say it aloud to him. And right now would make one hell of a lame confession.