A Fresh Start.

The main entrance to campus looked like those spooky gates you might find in horror movies, the ones that granted you access to a haunted mansion.

Standing in front of it was absolutely intimidating. This was a new start, a new phase of my life. This was my chance to make up for the time I wasted back in high school.

I chose not to involve myself in too much drama back then; I didn't like the drama and I certainly did not like the people who adored you but talked shit about you behind your back. Popularity wasn't really my thing.

That didn't mean that I didn't have a friend though. Hayley was like a sister to me, and we both helped each other get to where we are now.

We made sure we both got good grades so that we can follow in her older sister's footsteps. Isabella, her sister, was my role model. She had everything; the looks, the brains and the talent.

In order to get to Izzy's level, we had to work our butts off in school and it all paid off when we got our acceptance letter to Toronto's University of Prodigies. I couldn't believe it. It was the best day of my life. We were considered prodigies!

To get into TUP, you had to get at least a 95% in any subject and be good at either a sport or an art form, so that you would be able to get into one of the programs of the university.

Hayley was amazing in anything that had to do with arts and crafts. All you had to do was give her a pen and paper, her fingers wouldn't stop until there wasn't an untouched part of the paper. If that wasn't enough, Hayley was an absolute beast at math. There wasn't a problem she couldn't solve and if she had any difficulty, she would never leave it alone. She had to solve each and every problem.

As for me, I loved basketball and chemistry. TUP was perfect for the both of us but unfortunately, we were in different programs.

With her being in the art program and me being in the sports one, we knew for a fact that we wouldn't have enough time to see each other much. We decided to send a roommate request and it was permitted.

Hayley flew in the day university opened it's doors for students and she had informed me that we got a dorm right in the middle of campus. So far, this was shaping up to be a good year.

Classes wouldn't start until after a week, though so I decided to stay back in Pennsylvania. Spending this last week with my family before going abroad helped me mentally prepare for the change. I was going to Toronto for crying out loud. I was leaving behind my family and my home. I had to give myself some time to process it all.

As much as it scared me, it excited me even more. I wanted a change, I pretty much needed it. I wanted to feel like I could live on my own and meet new people. I was only afraid that when it all came down to it, I'd just be my regular old self, sitting alone at midnight reading Harry Potter for the hundredth time.

Standing in front of the entrance, I had absolutely no idea what this year had in store for me. I thought I was ready to take on any challenge I faced with Hayley by my side. Unfortunately, at some points, I didn't even have Hayley to help.

Anxiousness took over my whole body and i guess part of me knew this wasn't going to be easy. Hell, if I had known what this year had in store for me, I wouldn't even have made it past that door.

Staring at the entrance for about five more minutes, I decided enough was enough. Yes, it was a huge change. Yes, I was scared. Letting it get to me, though? Absolutely not.

With some new found confidence and music blasting in my ears, I finally stepped into my new home, well at least it was for now.

Only one minute in, I could see Hayley running towards me as if she hadn't seen me in years, a contagious bright smile on her face. The moment she got close enough, she wrapped her arms around me so tightly I could barely breathe.

"Riley!!" She half screams in my ear. Does she want me to go deaf? The concerts she always insists that we go to and the way she always blasts her music so loud with her speaks all point to yes.

"Whoa, it's only been a week, Hales." I say, hugging her back.

"Hey, Riley." I was so focused on Hayley that I didn't even notice Izzy walking up from behind her. Smiling at her younger sister, Izzy points to her head and circles her finger, basically calling Hayley crazy.

"I saw that!" Hayley exclaims, letting go of me.

"We've missed you, Riles. Even if it has been only a week." She says softly, hugging me. Izzy isn't just Hayley's sister; she's basically both of our sister's with the way she treats me, and I appreciate her for it. She's always treated me and Hayley as equals even though, deep down, I know that Hayley is actually her real sister and she'd choose her over me if it really came down to it. Nevertheless, I've always loved Izzy and I always will.

"I missed you guys, too" I exclaim, dropping the whole 'I can handle being away from you for a week' , because apparently, I can't.

"Alright, enough of this lovey dovey bullshit. Lemme show you to our dorm." Hayley declares, clapping her hands together.

"Yes, you both do that. I have a date to get to." Izzy says while walking away.

Me and Hayley exchange knowing looks. Classic Izzy. A new boyfriend every week because she wants to know every kind of guy that exists, so that she'd know which one she wants to end up with. Don't get me wrong, Izzy doesn't do it with them nor does she lead them on. She always informs her experiments of her intentions. Some of them don't even go along with it. Some of the dudes may even manage to make Izzy like them, but that's a rare occurrence.

"Let's go, shall we?" Hayley extends her arm to me, winking.

"We shall." I reply, hooking my arm around hers while heading to our supposed "amazing" dorm.