First Day

Today I start my senior year of high school, hooray..
I am currently making pancakes for Frances while she waits for her bus to come.
"Are you excited for first grade, Frances?" I asked with a smile.
"Yeah, I want to talk to my friends." She told me while she poured syrup on her pancakes.
Courtney came into the kitchen and poured herself a cup of coffee.
"What are you doing today?" I asked her.
"Oh, just boring copyright stuff. Not nearly as exciting as what you're doing." She giggled and pat my shoulder.
"I'm so nervous." I cringed and ate some blueberries.
We all turned our heads to the sound of a bus.
"Go Frances, before you miss the bus!" Courtney gestured.
Frances came to give us hugs and I handed her lunch as she walked out the door.

"Okie Dokie, now lets drive you to school." Courtney picked up her keys.
I put on my blue backpack and we got in the car.
About 10 minutes later we arrived to Lawndale High School.
Both of us got out, since Courtney had to speak with the principal.

People in the parking lot were admiring us, probably wondering if that was really Courtney Love.
We went into the main office and sat down in front of Principal Burkhart.
"Good morning Ms. Harrison, or Ms. Love.." He greeted us, confused.
"Just call me Courtney, sir." She smiled.
"Nice to meet you Courtney and Ramona. Welcome to Lawndale!" He exclaimed.
Courtney and him continued talking about the school and signing paperwork, I zoned out for most of it.

We finally got to leave and the two of us stood in the hallway.
Now it's occurred to me that I'm gonna be on my own without Courtney and it feels like the first day of kindergarten.
"You're gonna have a great time, babydoll. Don't stress too much." She rubbed my shoulders.
"I'll try to socialize. Bye, love ya." I said and we kissed each other on the cheek.
Then she walked away, waving, with her dress swaying behind her.
I looked at my schedule and saw my locker number, #435.
I looked around to see all the lockers around me were only double digits, so that's great. I'll have to wonder around this giant school.
I walked through a few corridors until I got lost. I guess I'll just have to ask someone.
"Excuse me, where are the lockers in the 400s?" I poked on some guy's shoulder.
"Huh? Oh, I'll walk you over." He responded lazily and I followed him down the hallway.
He took me to my locker and left without saying anything.
I opened it without struggle and coincidentally, my first class was right down the hall.

I clutched my books to my chest and walked in shyly.
Lots of people were looking at me.
Girls who reminded me of Cher from clueless, jocks, goths, stoners, you name it.
One of the Cher girls was whispering and smiling about me.
"Could I sit here?" I smiled.
"Totally!" She patted the desk next to her and I took a seat.
"So I'm Samantha and this is my friend Darcy," She pointed to the brunette behind her.
"You must be new."
"Yeah, my name is Ramona and I used to go to Riverview." I told her.
"You're super gorgeous!" Darcy exclaimed.
"Thanks." I smiled warmly.
"So, lets bring up the elephant in the room. Rumor has it you walked in with Courtney Love earlier." Samantha said.
"Yeah, Courtney is my guardian now after I um.. ran away from home a year ago.." I mumbled.
"So is she like, your mom?" Some guy behind us interrupted.
"Eric! She's talking about a traumatic event!" Darcy ridiculed him.
"No it's alright, running away was the best decision I've ever made." I explained.
"Why did you run away, if you don't mind me asking of course." Samantha asked.
"My mom was really abusive." I told them.
"Aw, I'm so sorry!" She frowned.
"Yeah, it's okay." I shrugged.

  The teacher arrived soon later and we had class.
  I got up with Samantha once the bell rang.
  "Hey, where's the science lab?" I asked her.
  "Oh, go down the hall past the bathroom and you'll find it." She told me and walked away.

  I know where my next 2 classes are, now all I need to worry about is lunchtime.