Chat with Chat

"Fucking Tranny."

Lila's cold, biting words hung around Merlin's ear as he ducked his head and made his way out of the school. Why the hell couldn't she just leave him alone?

What the hell had he ever done to her?

He strained to remember when he had been anything but coolly polite to her. He honestly couldn't recall ever saying anything remotely offensive to her. There was no reason she had to keep bullying him every god damn day.

The sunlight of the Parisian afternoon felt hollow and cold on his back despite the late spring season. He couldn't feel anything beyond the hot burn of tears behind his eyes.

Once again, he wished Nino and Alya hadn't ditched to go on another date. He could really have used a friend's back up just then.

Steeling himself, he marched past her with what he hoped was confidence and out onto the sidewalk, nearly running into Chloe in his haste to get away.

For once the egotistical blonde didn't spit at him, instead settling for a huff of dissent and moving away to get into her limo. Maybe Chloe really was warming up to him. The old Chloe would totally have joined Lila's verbal tirade, taking advantage of Merlin's weakness.

He sighed, feeling the tears welling in his eyes, watching his vision blur and his throat close up and choke him with despair.

Everyone else was so supportive. It was just Lila.

Honestly, he was no longer sure why she even bothered him. It wasn't like she was the majority. Most of the people he knew had either been incredibly accepting or just acknowledged him and moved on.

It was just Lila.

Then again, she did have a gift for making people feel like shit.

But why him?

He angrily reached up and brushed the tears that threatened to spill from his eyes away. This was fucking ridiculous. He had dealt with Chloe bullying him for years, why now was he on the verge of tears from a few hateful words?

A silver car pulled up to the curb beside him as he walked marched along, burning with rage and shame.

Of course it was Adrien. Just when he was beginning to get through his embarrassment, the universe had to fuck with him one more time.

God, fuck his life honestly.

"Hey Merlin. Need a ride? I don't have fencing today." Adrien, ever the picture of perfection smiled hesitantly at him from the opened window.

Merlin didn't trust himself to speak, so he simply shook his head slightly.

Adrien sighed a little. "Please, Merlin? I wanted to talk to you." He turned up the wattage on his perfect smile, meeting Merlin's tear filled eyes as he turned to look at Adrien.

"....Okay." Merlin reached up, pretending to adjust his hair while brushing the remaining tears from his eyes and praying his eyes were as red and bloodshot as he feared.

Adrien reached over and popped open the door to his car, smiling warmly at Merlin before scooting over on the smooth, grey leather and patting the seat beside him. "Come on, get in. What's your address?"

Merlin hesitantly sat down on the leather seat, surprised by how cool the interior of Adrien's car was. Being rich really did have its perks.

"Why are you giving me a ride?" Merlin didn't mean to sound as cold and distrustful as the words came out. He really didn't. But something about the relentless bullying from Lila had set him on edge and now it was all spilling out.