Chapter 9: Stallions in the Dining Hall

Start from the beginning

So yes Liara knew that she was brash and sassy and sometimes came across a little strong. But, really that was other peoples problem, not hers. So Mel could stand there with her disapproving frown but Liara could care less if Mel was on fire and hanging from the rafters.

Oh, bugger it, Liara resolved and took a swig of wine. Unfortunately the Dowager Duchess picked that moment to look up at her and Liara froze. The old crone had a wise knowing gaze and a twinkle in her aged eyes, and then of all the things she could do- she winked; discreetly, and with a kind smile she winked to a serving maid. Liara didn't know what to do but when she heard The Duke of Bexley inquire, "Mother, did you just wink at that maid?"she thought she was done for. But, the Dowager Duchess replied with a gentle snicker "Of course not, why ever would I wink at the help son?"

When their discussion resumed its natural course Liara tried to catch Verushka's eye. However Verushka's eyes seemed to be already quite firmly captured by the Lord of the house. Liara looked around for Mina but she didn't appear to be anywhere in sight.

"Hmmph" she sighed, and continued to eavesdrop on the latest French political gossip and then attempted to expand her Spanish vocabulary as the Baron's not-so-virgin daughter on the left propositioned her father's friend. Liara was giggling at the new source of entertainment and a little from the potent wine, when the largest Arabian stallion she'd ever seen kicked open the huge bay garden doors and the cool,  fresh night wind flooded the room, blew off her cap and curled into her long thick hair. On top of the majestic beast sat a incredibly handsome Spanish soldier astride with a long sword at his hip, two pistols strapped to each thigh and a Devil may care gleam in his exotic eyes.

~

Conde Marco de la Noche, Captain of the Royal Spanish Forces brought his horse's well shod hooves down with alacrity, onto the dining hall marble floor. He looked out across the formal dining hall and saw the shocked faces gulp, gasp and register his presence to accordingly scorn or admire. Marco caught the briefest glimpse of a woman's' cascading black hair falling in waves, tumbles and curls over her bodice, followed by a flash of eyes that were wide and brown, almond shaped and luscious- if eyes could be luscious- and some part of him knew that that image would haunt him for many nights. People shuffled, stood and moved in an attempt to get a better look at the new sensation that he brought crashing through the doors, and he lost sight of the mystery hair and eyes. Time rushed on and without so much as a blink, he dismissed the strange thought and that small premonition became locked in the dim recesses of his mind and he continued to gaze around at his captive audience.

The Captain saw no one he particularly knew in the crowd besides Scot who barely registered his friends arrival apart from a slight shake of his head coupled with a roll of those grey eyes that got him into so much trouble with the senoritas. Marco managed to give him a smile and a nod before being distracted by a Marchioness' heaving bosom and a Lady's come hither smile. He began to dismount his stallion when his gaze settled on the Dowager Duchess who looked less than pleased by his entrance. She wore a grim frown and rapped her fan against the edge of the oak wood table till Scot gently lay a hand over hers. With a scowl the Dowager's regency chair scraped along the stone floor with a painful screech as she rose to her full five feet.

Regal tones tensely cut the air, "Good evening Sir, I regret to inform you we are not receiving guests this evening."

"That is unfortunate" the dashing soldier replied with a soft smirk and a cunning stare, "because I'm in the mood to be received."

Feminine gasps filled the room as he lifted a thick muscled thigh over the horses pommel to dismount in a fluid leap. He gave a curt nod to the Dowager and a quick scan to the rest of the crowd taking in the details; the vintage of wine, the cut of the dresses, the seating arrangements and more.