How to Convince your Parents to Homeschool You

Start from the beginning

Also, figure out if there are any events, or programs you could attend to learn things, or even meet people your age. It can be hard to do everything completely at home, and everyone needs interaction with other people their age. So think about these, and maybe have a list ready about opportunities for you. And mention them to your parents. They will be more likely to homeschool you if they know you won’t be completely on your own. This is also a part of researching, but I figured it was important enough to receive its own part.

Fourth, come up with reasons you want to homeschool. No matter how much information you know about homeschooling, if you don’t have any legitimate concerns and reasons why you should homeschool, you arguments will all be in vain. Your parents are going to ask why. I’d recommend you have at least three really really really great reasons. Then you’ll have to have proof saying that homeschooling will fix this concern, address your reason, and let them know how your current school isn’t doing this.

Perhaps, you have trouble focusing in school because you’re too focused on all the drama. You could say, homeschooling will fix this, because you won’t be surrounded by those people who cause the drama on a day-to-day basis. You won’t be constantly reminded of it. And therefore, you will be focused more.

There are many different reasons you may want to homeschool. I’ll list a few. However, everyone is different. Could be religious reasons, you feel like public school is having a bad influence on you, and you’re having trouble sticking to your beliefs because of all the people judging you for them. And you want school books that incorporate your beliefs into them. Maybe you’re having trouble focusing, as I said above. However if this is a reason, you might have even more trouble focusing in homeschool, just saying. It could be that you’re bullied. Or that you feel like you’ll learn more in homeschooling. It’s been proven that homeschoolers are smarter, and maybe you want to be smarter. Whatever your reasoning is, make sure it’s an important reason. Otherwise, what’s the point of homeschooling? If you’re perfectly satisfied with your current school, and even exceling, how would homeschooling make that better?

Fifth, the big reveal. Tell your parents. Maybe mention homeschooling once or twice, saying how you think it’s so cool, so that they’re not completely foreign to the idea. Then, maybe a week later, drop the bomb. Let it go. Utter the words: ‘I want to be homeschooled.’ Make sure that they understand you are serious about this. That you are not joking. That you want to be homeschooled. Tell them you’ve been thinking about it for quite a while, and that you’ve researched it a lot. Tell them advantages of homeschooling. Not just that you can wake up whenever you want, and that you don’t have to get ready and look pretty for the day. But mention advantages that they would consider advantages. That you won’t be exposed as much to secular culture, that you will learn more, and whatever else you think would help convince them. Answer their questions.

Don’t argue with them in a whiny voice, saying that you have to homeschool. Be mature about it. And even if they still don’t understand, ask them to research it themselves. Beg them (in a mature way of course). Ask them for reasons why they don’t want you to homeschool if they disagree. Think through their reasons and respect them. They are wiser than you and usually know what’s best. If both of your parents are fully employed, it will be hard for one of them to stay home all day with you. One of them will, most likely, have to quit their job, or at least settle for part-time.

They may have really good reasons to keep you in public school as well. Listen to them just as they listened to you.

In overview, I will restate my five tips once again.

1.       Find out as much as you can about homeschooling. Some things to research are possible curriculums, benefits of homeschooling, and the basics of homeschooling. But most importantly, see if homeschooling is legal where you are.

2.       Make sure that homeschooling is something you are positive you want to try. That you are willing to push through confusion and distractions.

3.       Find co-ops and opportunities/programs in your area you could possibly go to.

4.       Reasons. Come up with at least three great reasons you want to homeschool. Or problems you have with your current school.

5.       When you finally tell your parents about your desire to be homeschooled, listen to them and respect their opinion. But make sure they are aware that this is something you definitely want to give a try.

Those are my main tips. Follow them, and hopefully you’ll be able to convince your parents to homeschool you. I wish you the best of luck! Thank you.

And for all you homeschoolers reading this, if you have any of your own tips, feel free to leave them in the comments.