Cabin

"Thought you might be here." I say, opening up the door to the cabin. She flinches when she hears me and turns around quick.

"Hi." She replies quietly. I make my way to her spot in the corner of the wooden cabin. It was around noon when John and Paul arrived, but now it's dark. It took me a while to find her.

I never told anyone about this place. I had it built for myself when I first moved into this house with Pattie. I wanted somewhere to be alone, completely away from the world and the fans. I told my contractor to make it in secret while Pattie was off on one of her modeling shows. And yet, Moonbeam managed to find it. It's secluded behind many trees, in fact they wrap around the whole exterior of the place.

"I hope this isn't someone's house. We don't need Goldilocks all over again." She says. I laugh.

"No, no. It's mine." I tell her and she nods her head.

"I'm sorry. For all of this. I should have just driven myself to your house the first night and none of all of this would have turned out as it did." Moonbeam rambles. Her eyes are drowsy and she seems frustrated.

"Don't apologize. Follow me." I say, extending a hand to her. I still feel as though I'm a bit scary to her, but I nod my head in a reassurance that I'm safe and her small, frigid hand fits nicely into mine. I bring her to the door in the back of the cabin and open it up, revealing a sturdy wooden staircase. At the top is another small door and I open it up again, revealing the stars and the bright moon. I lose her hand as she steps up for herself.

"Wow." She says, looking out at all the stars and the large moon.

Truth be told, I wanted to see those beautiful eyes light up again.

......................................................................................................

I hear footsteps running around so loudly I'm woken up. I slip on trousers and a shirt, run a comb quick through my hair and neglect shaving. It's early, whatever time it is, but my body is used to being suddenly woken up.

I open my bedroom door to find Moonbeam rushing around in a hurry. Her small white dress is going to fall off her body from the ever-growing tear, her hair is messily in a pony-tailed crown of fake flowers, and her feet look red from all the time running around with no shoes on.

"Moonbeam, love, slow down." I say, sitting down in a chair close to the couch. She sighs with relief when she sees me and falls on her resting spot.

"I'm sorry. I made breakfast and burned it. Then I made it again and it was still sort of charred. I was trying to make it up to you for letting me stay here." Moonbeam says quickly. She grabs a blanket and covers up her cold toes, rubbing her tired eyes as she looks at me.

"You didn't have to do that. You're really no trouble." I say. She nods and twiddles her thumbs. I watch her for a while till things get awkward.

"Um, George?" She asks.

"Yes?" I reply, curious.

"Could you maybe-uh, ride me over to the orphanage?" Moonbeam asks. The sunlight shining through the orange curtains radiates off her eyes and I almost chuckle at how they catch the light anywhere.

"Well, sure. We might have to wear disguises, though. But why?" I ask. She stares at me like I just asked the most absurd question ever to be asked and then looks down like she can't handle my gaze.

"You okay?" I ask. She nods her head lightly, her crown of flowers falling a little closer to her eyebrows.

"Yeah. I-well, you see-" She stops mid sentence and covers her face with her hands.

"Hey, uh, don't worry about it love." I say. She looks at me with blank eyes.

"I have a son."