Chapter 5 - Part I: In the Name of the Future

Twenty-four days had passed from the day of the annual tournament where Amos Caius Loren was crowned champion. His victories over more than ten honorable and talented warriors had been a subject to speak about throughout the six territories of the Empire. The transcendence to have achieved twice the maximum glory was only surpassed by heroes in times of war.

As the current date approached, on the twenty-seventh day of the fourth month, the euphoria for Amos Caius Loren's downright victory was diluting to give prominence to an event categorically different from the violent sport practiced in the Coliseum. An event suitable for the participation of all the public of the city of Entrana and that in the following months was going to be able to be enjoyed in the other annexed nations as well.

Very early in the morning of that day, Asura was traveling by carriage through the crowded and difficult to maneuver streets of the Residential Area. She was certainly not alone in such endeavor.

"Year after year, and always the same traffic problems in the day of the festival," she heard Sir Royce complain as he looked out the window. As always, he was wearing his elegant armored suit underneath a jacket, top hat and both blade-cane and pistol on point.

"It's not bad to appreciate the enthusiasm of the people, my dear knight," Urza Delain commented. Dressed in her maid uniform, she then looked at the Princess with an apologetic smile. "I can carry the young Prince whenever you want, my lady."

"Don't worry about it. There aren't many occasions for Jul and I to travel together," she answered, softly chuckling. Jul, who was wearing a comfortable pair of pants and a gray vest of fine fabric, and was sitting on her lap while gazing out the window with a childishly tender smile for Asura but terrifying to passers-by if they noticed him.

There was another individual with them that did not say a word and that Asura had not yet become accustomed to: Madame Jocelyn Becquerel, a knightess of rank equivalent to Royce's but less than Diana Belmont, and Jul's new bodyguard after his former guardian very recently retired from his position due to his advanced age.

She was young, curvy, brown-eyed and had messy brown hair. The mace resting to theside of her seat proved that she had a preference for blunt weapons, and atthat time she was wearing a suit remotely similar to Royce's with thedifference that it tended to be of a soft brown color.

"S-Sura!" Jul exclaimed her name with enthusiasm as he pointed his finger outside, and his sister wiped the drool that inevitably seeped through his monstrous side teeth. A great quantity of armed civil security were allowing access to the public in a slow pace, with the protocol exception of the members of the imperial family being escorted by cavalry.

Once on the other side of the perimeter fence, the gigantic Conquerors Plaza occupied all of her visual range: it was a large area of more than two-hundred hectares where traditionally hundreds of entire families used to go, be it to enjoy day or nighttime meals, play sports or attend musical or theatrical events organized by the Metropolitan Council, which responded directly to the Imperial Councillor of Social Affairs. 

That special day, the plaza had hundreds of booths and stages of all shape and sizes with very few people walking around them and seeing the attractions. Asura tried to see but the angle of vision totally shrunk once the carriage turned around and its armed escorts stopped. The first thing she saw was an arch in the entrance with a big, welcoming billboard at the highest point that said:

CLAPEYRON INDUSTRIES FESTIVAL

Sample the wares of tomorrow today!