One Step at a Time (Part 17)

"How is he doing?" Jennie and Jisoo stood up to greet the doctor.

"Just a broken leg and some bruises and cuts. Nothing severe, thankfully." The man then looked at Jisoo. "It seems that your men have been coming here a bit too often for my liking lately." He smiled kindly to let Jisoo know that it was just a joke.

"They like you too much, Doctor." Jisoo understood the joke.

He chuckled. "Well, tell them to just meet me outside of the hospital and to stop getting injured."

"I will, Doctor. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Go on in. Sign his cast. He'll be using a crutch for the rest of the month but he's fine otherwise. I'll release him tomorrow."

They bowed to the man and went inside the room to see Joonmyun frowning at a crutch leaning against his bed.

"How are you feeling?" asked Jisoo.

"I hate crutches," said the assistant inspector. "But other than that, I'm okay." He gave them a wide smile.

"I'm sorry, Joonmyun-ah," Jennie meekly said as she stepped up to him, hanging her head with guilt.

"Why, Jen? There's nothing to be sorry about. This isn't your fault. I'm just glad you're okay," he said. "You haven't told Lisa, have you?"

Jennie shook her head. "I don't want to worry her while she's working."

"She deserves to know. Especially now that I can't protect you anymore," Joonmyun said regretfully. "And neither can Chanyeol or Jongin."

They grew quiet, unsure of what to think about everything that had happened.

"So they're taking us down one by one?" Joonmyun spoke again, looking at Jisoo. "Those pictures that team found in Yongbak's warehouse. It was a threat, a warning of what's to come, wasn't it? Seungjin wanted us to find it."

"We're not sure about that yet," answered Jisoo diplomatically.

"Oh come on, Captain. Pardon me but can I speak with my Jisoo now instead of Captain Kim?"

Jisoo took a deep breath and smiled weakly. "I'm sorry, Joonmyun-ah. I'm sorry for not being able to protect you or Chanyeol or Jongin. I shouldn't have taken this lightly."

"It's not your fault, Jis. And who said anything about you taking this lightly? Those officers who followed us did their job well." Joonmyun suddenly remembered the two men's condition. "How are they doing, by the way?"

"Your tail only suffers a sprained ankle but Jennie unnie's tail would have to be replaced."

"Is he okay?" asked Jennie.

"Err... let's just say that he would need quite some time to recover."

Jennie shook her head, looking down at Joonmyun's cast. My fault. This is all my fault. Whoever comes near me will only end up getting hurt. She once again regretted ever being involved with Seungjin and his business; hating how the consequences of that one mistake endlessly haunt her and the people close to her.

"Don't blame yourself, Jen. Seungjin hates our guts regardless of what you did to him." Joonmyun tried comforting Jennie, knowing what she must have been thinking. "I'll be at work tomorrow as usual, just limping and hopping instead of walking. It's really no big deal."

"Hyung!"

The door burst opened and in walked Chanyeol and Jongin.

"What are you doing here?" Jisoo stared at Chanyeol in surprise.