Ch. 2 - Last Day Pt. 2

Song: Boys Will Be Bugs by Cavetown
Words: 1475
Published: May 8th, 2020
Third Person POV
Rayna

The schedule for school today is completely different than usual since it's the last day of school. Their actual graduation ceremony is a few weeks, but they do have an assembly on the last day that the whole school attends to say goodbye to the seniors. Rayna knows she won't be able to attend the actual ceremony.

It starts out in homeroom, but they stay there for a half hour longer than usual. The teacher asks questions about what students are going to do after high school, and they play some games. Rayna is actually happy since everyone's too excited to tease her. She's able to put aside her anxiety and enjoy this morning.

They go to their classes, but only in half hour increments. Teachers ask similar questions, but each have different games. Each student has six classes in a day, disregarding homeroom, so after everyone's first three they take a lunch break.

Rayna meets up with Naomi in the hall.

"How's your day been?" The ginger asks.

"Pretty good, actually," Rayna tells her. Mimi digs around in her pocket and pulls out a dollar for Rainy. School lunch is paid for, but they can get extra sweets with their own money from à la carte.

They go through the line, talking about their day so far, before taking their usual seat in the corner of the cafeteria. The tables are rectangular and seat ten per table, five on each side. Rayna sits on the end, Naomi next to her. There's usually at least four other people there, sometimes up to eight.

One of them is Travis, Naomi's boyfriend. They've been dating for about nine months now, as they met and started dating last summer. Rayna has made her feelings towards him crystal clear.

Around Naomi, he acts like this perfect guy. Whenever he does something bad, he finds a way to turn it on someone else, and Naomi always believes him. Rayna has tried to tell Naomi, but she refuses to believe that.

Over the past couple of months, ever since Travis somehow caught wind of Rayna ratting him out to Naomi, a tension has been building up between them. Travis has been blaming things on Rayna and trying to get Naomi against her. Luckily, it hasn't worked, and has actually been backfiring on his part. For the past week he's been trying to earn her love back.

The other three regulars at the table consist of two of Travis's friends and one of their girlfriends, whom Naomi has a class with, so they talk a bit every time.

Some of the seniors pull a prank at lunch by riding in on a little toy train that you'd see in malls. Everyone applauded and laughed. Even Rayna couldn't help but giggle as Naomi ran over and hopped on. Luckily, she got off and away with it before teachers shut it down.

At the end of lunch, the students get dismissed to their next class. Naomi stops Rayna for a second as they're emptying their trays.

"It's my turn to clean the table. Wait for me?" she asks.

"Yeah, I'll be by your locker," Rayna assures with a nod. Naomi smiles and goes to grab a rag from the janitor.

Rayna puts her tray away and walks into the hallway, heading towards Naomi's locker. She lets out a surprised gasp when she's pushed onto the ground. Students around her snicker. She looks up to see Travis. That asshole, she thinks to herself but doesn't have the guts to say out loud.