One Step at a Time (Part 15)

Start from the beginning

Chaeyoung followed Lisa inside while Seulgi went to the viewing room.

"Wake up, Mr. Chadol." Lisa pulled up a chair and sat down.

The man took a second to react, lazily yawning and stretching before leaning back in his seat, staring at Lisa uninterestedly. "Thank you for keeping me waiting. It's not like I have something better to do," he said sarcastically.

"It took a while to come here from Seoul," replied Lisa. "And we didn't want you to skip town so it would be better to keep you here until we arrived."

He looked at Chaeyoung. "Haven't I told you enough? I don't have anything to do with that criminal's death."

"We know that. Because he's not dead after all," Chaeyoung said.

"W-what?!" He straightened up in his seat, shocked by the revelation. "You're pulling my leg, right?"

"I wish I was."

"We couldn't find his body," Lisa spoke.

"Well, duh? He was cremated," retorted Chadol.

"Not really. The crematorium hasn't been doing its business properly. He was supposed to be buried but we couldn't find him."

"Wha-... what is this? Are you guys serious?" He looked at Lisa then at Chaeyoung.

"We don't have time for jokes, Mr. Chadol. He is missing. Needless to say, we want to know who helped him escape."

He blinked. "First you suspected me of faking his death. Now you're accusing me of helping a convicted criminal escape?"

"It's plausible, considering your past relationship with him," said Lisa matter-of-factly.

Chadol's face darkened, clearly unhappy with the insinuation. "I've told you cops, I have left that life! It was a costly mistake and I do not intend to repeat it!"

"But Yongbak still has a hold on you and your family. I'm sure you would've done anything to ensure your family's safety. You gave them your brother, didn't you?"

He snarled as he pointed his finger menacingly at Lisa. "Don't you dare say that again. Himchan chose to work for that man! I never forced him to accept that offer!"

"But he took it anyway because he was threatened." Lisa wasn't affected by his anger at all. "Because he wanted to save you."

"I didn't need saving!" He almost banged the table. "I've paid for what I've done! I have nothing to do with that scum Yongbak or his nephew. I didn't even know that he was his nephew!"

"But Doctor Kang Gwanmo did," said Chaeyoung.

"What?"

"We found links between him and Ji Seungjin. They knew each other."

"W-wha-... but that's impossible! Doctor Kang couldn't have possibly known that man! He was assigned to treat him, remember? He didn't choose to do so."

"Maybe, but he could've easily volunteered." Lisa stood up and turned around, facing the mirror. "And he chose you to assist him so that must mean something."

Seulgi frowned from behind the glass when she saw Lisa facing her, shifting her eyes briefly. It was a signal, she knew.

She was about to leave when the door opened right on time and Sehun appeared.

"Did I miss anything?" the young assistant inspector asked.

"Not much. Hey, did you guys talk to the hospital director?"

Sehun shook his head. "He wasn't there that day. Why?"

"We need to know why he assigned Kang Gwanmo to treat Seungjin. How about we pay him a visit?"