One Step at a Time (Part 15)

En başından başla

"Oh about that," Chaeyoung interrupted Seulgi. "He told me how he hated working at that prison but after a careful look at his file, I realized that he had worked there for quite a long time. Nearly eight years."

Seulgi nodded. "His first job was at a small, local clinic. Didn't pay much, I think. He lasted nearly three years before he applied for another job at a government-owned hospital. He worked there for a couple of years then got transferred to Gwangju prison."

"So let me get this straight. He got monthly allowances from someone we can't trace during his study, graduated and probably tried paying that person back – hence the monthly withdrawals – but stopped after he took a job at a prison?" Lisa was confused. "This is very weird. Why would you stop repaying your debt when you're not even halfway yet?"

"Several possibilities here," Chaeyoung furrowed her brows in thought. "One, the person who lent him the money erased his debt. Two, there was another way to pay for it."

"I'm beginning to get the old Judge Moon vibe," Lisa said, placing the papers on the table with a sigh.

"So he's in Seungjin's pocket?"

"Why not? We know whom Park Kyujun worked for. And we know that the money he deposited couldn't be his. Maybe Seungjin paid for the doctor's medical school in exchange for his services after he graduated."

"Plausible," commented Seulgi, still with her mouth full. "It fits Seungjin's MO."

"Chaeng-ah, call Joonmyun. Tell him to talk to some of those 'mutual friends' in that Facebook picture. Try to find out more about this Kang Gwanmo's real relationship with Seungjin."

Chaeyoung took out her phone. "But if what you said is true, I doubt that they were being buddy-buddy openly. Seungjin would want to keep his hold on Gwanmo a secret."

"True but it never hurts to ask."

Chaeyoung stood up when Joonmyun answered her call and went out of the break room to talk to him.

"Oh by the way, one of Sehun's colleagues has kindly helped us with the hotel room. He said he'd give us the keys later so we could rest if we want to."

Lisa nodded absentmindedly. "Okay." She was clearly distracted.

Seulgi noticed. "Jennie?"

"Huh?" Lisa finally lifted her head, looking at her friend.

"Are you thinking about Jennie?"

"..."

"It's okay if you do. I'd be worried sick if I were you. But I know that Chu and the others are taking good care of them."

"Yeah. I hope so."

"I know so." Seulgi quickly finished her meal and drank. She was about to say something when the door opened and in walked Chaeyoung.

"Joonmyun will update us as soon as he finds something," said the tall inspector.

"Good. Let's go talk to that nurse. He should be quite frustrated from the waiting by now." Lisa pushed her chair back and stood up, picking up the tablet Chaeyoung had placed on the table earlier. She tapped the screen, in search of Jo Himchan's file. "They really look alike, don't they?" she casually remarked.

"Yeah. I've been thinking that too since I saw that picture," replied Chaeyoung. They were talking about the recent photograph that Yunho had brought them that morning.

"I wonder how he'd react when we told him about Seungjin's link to Doctor Gwanmo," said Seulgi as they left the break room.

"Well, we're about to find out soon." Lisa pushed the interrogation door open and saw the man asleep on the table.