1

tw: explicit language.

the boy didn't expect much on his lonely walk in the winding roads up in the mountains. really, he didn't expect anything.

he surely didn't expect to make a friend.

it wasn't every day that yamaguchi went for a walk up in the mountains. miyagi tended to have a lot of mountains, so it wasn't that he lived far from them. he only went to the mountains to think. the olive-haired boy loved the silence and serene feeling of being hundreds of feet above the ground.

he couldn't fly like the rest of his friends could. they could all fly high, either reaching to hit balls or reaching to stop balls. yamaguchi, though, his five seconds of fame per game was a service ace or two. his float ball serve wasn't even the best.

the pressure wore down. anxiety and doubt had become normal to him. his coach had pulled him aside several times to help him practice one on one, but it wasn't just that. his friends were all going places outside of the volleyball court too, but yamaguchi was still grounded.

"watch out, fuckers!" a shout breaks the early morning silence, causing yamaguchi's head to jerk around behind him. coming down a hill he just came down were a group of bikers, all on their bicycles with no helmets. speeding down, some didn't even have their feet on the pedals.

yamaguchi's face pales slightly at the biker boys, who all looked to be around his age. moving to the side quickly, he waits for the bikers to pass. all the bicycles were yellow.

the boy's clothes rustle with the passing wind as the bikes fly by him. his gaze followed the carefree boys, who whoop and cheer in the morning air, egging on their friends to go faster down the next hill. yamaguchi didn't mind the distraction; he was thinking too much anyway.

the bikers were soon gone, and yamaguchi was able to return to the middle of the street for his walk. no cars were driving around in the mountains at three am anyway, so who gave a damn?

•••

by four am, yamaguchi was back on sea level and was walking home when he heard familiar whoops and shouting from behind him. shaking his head as he begins to move out of the road, yamaguchi looks behind him to see a bike almost ram into his face, it was going so fast.

the wheels squealed to a stop thanks to the biker's quick reflexes on the breaks, but the olive-haired boy had backed up a lot from momentary shock. "holy shit- i'm so sorry, i didn't see you," the biker blurts out, standing up over his bike seat and watching the boy return to himself.

the biker had obviously dyed blond hair, his undercut a rich dark brown. his eyebrows were also dyed blond. his eyes were light brown, almost like milk chocolate, and had an excited look in them. his features didn't look exactly japanese, but yamaguchi couldn't put his finger on what other race he was.

he was dressed in a yellow hoodie. he had a few piercings on both his ears, along with a noticeable tongue piercing as his jaw was dropped as he stared at yamaguchi. kinda scary, but he looks nice enough, the olive-haired boy thought before brushing himself off.

yamaguchi smiles shyly, waving his hand in the air to wave off the boy. if he was younger, he might've peed himself in fear of the piercings, but this guy didn't seem too scary. "no, no, i should've moved quicker. i heard you guys coming again earlier anyway," he says apologetically, even though it wasn't so much his fault.

"again? oh wait, were you that kid on the side of the road up there?" yamaguchi watches the biker, whose friends were coming over a bump now, point up at the mountain he was just walking around for three hours. the olive-haired boy nods, and the biker lets out a long "ooh."