Chapter 22: "Let's get this over and done with."

Chapter 22:
"Let's get this over and done with."

"So how's college, honey?" Mom asks through the phone.

She called me six minutes ago to check up on me since I haven't called her in like two days. Before she called, I was thinking about what happened earlier on with Colton. About why I decided to kiss him instead of just ducking my head to hide from Stanley. I also feel like beating myself for enjoying the kiss and how I actually yearned for more after breaking it.

After that, I was so shocked at myself that I couldn't even explain myself to Colton for kissing him, so I just cowered and ran off to save myself from any more humiliation. Even the snack I meant to get was forgotten and my aim was set on hailing a cab and go home. So now I'm hiding in my cozy cocoon, comfortable in my black sports bra and grey sweatpants, and with a box of Oreos in hand.

Stupid Colton.

Stupid soft lips.

And stupid freakin' Stanley.

"It's only been one day mom," I roll my eyes and I'm thankful she can't see me doing this or else she would have given me a serious lecture.

"I know that," I can almost see her roll her own eyes. "I'm asking if you've made new friends already in one of your classes and if you have any hot lecturers that are good to stare at."

"Mom!" I have a weird mom. "I don't have time to be staring at hot lecturers like you did. But to answer you, no. Most of my professors are old people. Probably your cup of tea." I laugh and I hear her laugh in response too.

"And how would you know my cup of tea?"

"Well, for starters, you're still happily married to Dad," I stifle a laugh.

"Hey, he's not old," she argues. "And who said I'm still not looking at other options." She teases.

"Other options for what?" I hear Dad ask Mom in the background. Busted.

"Oh, uh, for the dress I need to wear at Lydia's daughter's wedding," Mom lies to him and I burst out in laughter.

I hear Dad mutter 'women'.

"Nice save, Mom," I chuckle at how childish she is sometimes.

"Oh hush it. You almost made me get into trouble," she laughs as well.

"I'm pretty sure that would have been on you for not keeping your eyes only on your husband." I

"Who said they aren't only him?" Mom contradicts herself shamelessly.

A knock on my door catches my attention and tell Mom that we'll talk again later because I seem to have an unexpected guest. I walk to the door to unlock and pull it open.

Tristan.

"I see that you are developing a habit of showing up here unannounced," I skip the greetings.

"May I come in?"

I gesture with my hand that he may enter and close the door after he does.