Chapter 18: Gosh, I hate you

Chapter 18:
Gosh, I hate you

"So you're the famous Hailey Matthews," Rude Guy Colton takes a seat next to me on the beach sand without even asking me for permission.

Does he know that I'm in no mood for company?!

"What do you want?" I roll my eyes and stare at the beach view before me.

I've been staring at the beach for the last thirty minutes, replaying Tristan's face when he'd said he doesn't want to love me anymore. I isolated myself from the rest of the group just to that I can have reality sink in that Tristan and I are over for good.

Can't say it doesn't hurt.

What's ironic is that I had prepared myself to move on with my life without him; to enjoy college here in California without seeing his face, without thinking about him, or what he's doing, if he misses me, and if he has moved on. I prepared myself to finally have a new start, reshape my life into something I'll be proud of and be thankful for having.

But Tristan's handsome face, incredible presence, and his stupid ability to attract me to him ruined everything. Worst part is that we are currently in the same state, and we're probably, most likely, to attend the same freakin' college.

"Dude, are you there?" Colton snaps his fingers in front of my face to catch my attention and I resist the temptation to bite off his annoying fingers.

"What?!" I snap at him. "Could you just leave me alone?" At this point, I don't care if I'm being rude or not.

"Woah, chill dude," he holds out his hands in defense. "I'm just trying to keep you company after seeing how lonely you are sitting by yourself." He seems unaffected by my outburst, in fact, I can spot a tiny smirk trying to show itself on his stupid face.

"I'm not lonely," I roll my eyes again. "I just need time to myself. There's a difference." I place my elbows on my propped up knees.

"Sure," he chuckles, releasing a cute smile. "Whatever floats your boat, loner."

"I'm starting to hate you," I glare at him. "And I mean it."

"And I'm starting to love you, Princess," he smirks at me and bumps my shoulder with his.

This child's nerve!

"You really want me to beat you up, don't you?" I let out a chuckle and look away to see Tristan and Sam playing in the ocean along with the group.

It hurts seeing the two being cozy and smiley with one another. They seem to like each other so much—well, Sam likes Tristan—and Tristan probably reciprocates Sam's feelings, even if he admitted to still loving me. But we all know that you can love someone and not be in love with them.

Leave them be, Hailey. Leave them be.

"I'd like to see you try," Colton proudly challenges me with an eye roll. "But don't break your nail, Princess."

"Okay, then, Princess," I use the nickname on him. I stand up from my sitting position and take of my shirt, leaving me in my sports bra and denim shorts.