Chapter 2: Ready to enter the ring

Chapter 2:
Ready to enter the ring

"Hailey!" Dean's breathless voice calls out among the bodies behind me. "Wait up!"

I slow down and wait for him to catch up. Once he reaches me, I laugh at his tired body as his hands collapse onto his knees in order to catch his breath.

"You-" he breathes in, "are-" he breathes in again, "really fast."

"We are literally ten meters away from the gym." I point out.

"That's still too far," he holds a finger up as though saying I must stop talking.

"C'mon lazy bones," I roll my eyes and continue walking to my destination.

The evening colours are already melting into the sky, producing combinations of oranges, pinks and purples mixed into a beautiful master piece. Today's weather is perfect-- not hot or cold, just as Goldilocks would say-- just right.

"So?" Dean asks. "Are you going to tell me what has been occupying my girl's mind?" He pokes the side of my face.

"I'm not your girl," I scoff.

"You wound me, sweetheart," he places a hand on his chest, feigning hurt.

"What would Bree say if she heard you flirting with someone else?" I raise my eyebrow.

Bree is his girlfriend, well I'd like to think that. It's actually complicated. One moment they want each other like the desert needs water and one moment they repel each other like like charges. This emotional rollercoaster, or whatever you would call it, has been going on like this for about a year or so, as I've been told.

"She won't find out," he shrugs. "Besides what goes on between me and other people has nothing to do with her."

"Wow, you are really trustworthy," my voice drips with sarcasm.

"I know, right?" He flashes a bright grin. "You should award me with a kiss." I see him leaning in towards the side of my face.

"Get away from me, you oversized gecko," I push him away with my hand although I knowing he's kidding.

"FYI you love this 'oversized gecko'."

"What's up with you today?" I mutter is annoyance.

"What's wrong with you ?" He pokes my right shoulder.

"Nothing." I mutter.

"Nothing? You ha--"

"So, where's the ring?" I cut him off, hoping to have a change of topic.

"What?" His face morphs into frustration.

"The ring you bought for Bree."

"Oh." Realisation kicks in, followed by his infamous look he makes whenever something is wrong due to his mistakes.

"What did you do?"

"Hey, this is not about me he--"

"You didn't buy it, did you?"

"No, actually I did."

"So?"

"I kinda, sort of, maybe lost it?" He makes a nervous grin.

"You peanut." I slide a palm along my face.

"No, you're the peanut for always changing the--"

"We're here," I slap his shoulder. "Match's about to begin and I need to change."