I miss our walks into town together, but Harry's been over a lot so we go to lunch together; he's like the son I never had. He always asks about you and wonders if you're ok. And he helps with fixing up our little home, or putting lights up or getting groceries. He's helped me with gardening the little walk way to the house, and there's these beautiful sunflowers and daises, I know they're your favorite so to remind me of you everyday, I'll soon be able to see them outside on the walk way.

I've decided to get a new dog. I know we had one when you were a kid, but she was old and died when you were young, but I know a dog will keep me company and protected at night. It will make me feel safer when you're not home. She's a golden retriever, she's a beautiful yellow/golden color, and I named her Daisy of course. She's only 3, but she was the first one that caught my eye at the shelter. I was surprised she was even there. But she sleeps by my side, goes on walks with me, we eat dinner together. We do everything together, and it's like a companion. I'll be so happy when you can meet her.

I miss you so much, honey. I wish you and your friends well, I know this is the first letter I've written to you, but please tell your friends that i hope they are well. It's rough for families out there right now and they may not be able to afford the money to send a letter, so think of it as I'm a mother for them, dear. I miss you so much.

I love you!

Your mom, Lena Parker

Hazel smiled. Daisy sounded like the cutest thing. And it was best for her mom, especially now. A dog like Daisy would be the perfect companion and ensure safety. She was glad her mother was doing ok as well, for Hazel's sake of being away from her. She sometimes looked out to the stars at night, whispering a few quiet words as if her mother could hear them. It calmed her. 

Throughout the next few days, it downpoured constantly, which meant even more fun for Thermes to have. The run was even more gruesome because as it rained there was also a mucky humidity that swarmed them. Hazel could no longer tell the difference between rain or sweat but she was focused more on the concept of getting up the cliff for the second time so that she could finish the course. She knew Thermes was just preparing them for better though. It all had intent and purpose. 

The night runs weren't ideal either, but the women strived with each mile they finished in the pitch black, when the stars were most radiant.

Thermes was there through every ounce of training however, and he, though an asshole sometimes, had intent with what he was doing and he always completed the course with the women he was training. 

And Hazel admired that. 

He could've amped up the asshole level to about 99% by watching them run, but he actually did all courses with them, all activities. He usually partnered with Wilson or 1st's Lieutenant Henry Moore or 3rd's Lieutenant Wayne Goldwin. But he always made sure that as he performed it everyone that followed, could as well. 

It was why everyone seemed to respect Thermes the way they did. 

It's the reason the Company worked as well as they did. 

As the weeks passed with training and classes, Hazel found herself become more mentally strong in ways many of them wouldn't expect. They were not allowed to leave camp, mostly because it was considered a distraction in Thermes book, but by now, none of the women cared. 

So what if they couldn't go out on weekends? 

They were here training, training for the war of the worlds, and training to show that their purpose was important within the face of fighting a war. They wanted to be the best, the most elite of groups.