"There's a forest nearby the centre, they use it for outings sometimes but I don't think they'll be having any today. I shouldn't be longer than an hour, I just need to let him out, he's irritating me."

"He just wants attention," Elspeth shifted in his seat, tilting his head ever so slightly when the sun hit his eyes, "how about you let him out tonight at home? He might calm down if he's not leashed so tight all the time," Slate smiled warmly, offering Elspeth the last of the muffin they were sharing, having obviously noticed the boy glancing towards it.

"You have a soft spot for him, not many people would want to share their night with a restless wolf."

"If he's restless then I'll just tire him out. He's you after all, and I like him, he's fun. I have a way with animals, you always say I'm a magnet for life," noticing Slate had finished his coffee, Elspeth slipped his own cup into the man's, "it's not like I can only enjoy spending time with one side of you."

"Nobody ever cared that much," Slate sounded so forlorn, lost in his own mind like Elspeth often was recently. Elspeth sighed, rising from his seat and leaning down next to Slate to press a kiss to his hair.

"Let's go, I want to walk around the park across the street before we leave," Slate didn't move, didn't speak, Elspeth wasn't sure he even breathed, for a moment, "Slate?" Elspeth crouched down next to the man's seat but Slate still wouldn't meet his eye.

"I'll go pay, wait here for me," Elspeth stood, watching Slate wander inside out of sight. He chewed on his bottom lip, walking out onto the street and leaning against the low wall that lined the outside area of the cafe.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Elspeth rolled his eyes, not bothering to even grace Jesse with a second look. He had to be a serious stalker to have followed them all the way out there, then again, Slate probably wanted the protection, or had some job in the area. It would do Elspeth no good to speculate, it wasn't worth the migraine.

"What are you doing here?" Elspeth shifted to the side ever so slightly when Jesse perched on the wall next to him, keeping his distance with the boy.

"Not sure," Jesse mused, a cigarette hanging from his lips, making Elspeth feel a sense of smugness that his were so much thicker, how childish of him, "I was running yesterday and I just woke up around here. I can sense Slate all the time so, I don't know, I thought I'd come find him. Y'know, before you, he was never a 'coffee and a muffin' kind of guy," Elspeth wasn't willing to get into some petty argument with Jesse that morning, not when he knew the boy would somehow turn it around to make him look like the bad guy, "you made him soft, you ruined him."

"Will you just leave me alone, please? I'm not gonna stand here and be berated by you," Elspeth snapped, rubbing the back of his neck when the sullen ache twinged severely all of a sudden.

"When he loses his pack, it'll be your fault," Elspeth snapped his eyes from the trees across the street toward Jesse, finding he was already stalking away down the sidewalk.

"Wait!" Elspeth jogged after the boy, gripping his wrist, forcing him to stop. He had no doubt that was what Jesse wanted, that power over him, but he had to know if he was being truthful. Jesse faced Elspeth with a sly smirk that actually made the boy want to stub out that stupid cigarette right there in his eye. Elspeth shivered at his own ruthlessness, he had never thought like that before, it was awfully frightening.

"Why do you think he'll lose his pack?" Jesse cocked an eyebrow, taking an irritatingly long drag of his cigarette before blowing the smoke away from Elspeth. How considerate.

"Information goes both ways, if you want something from me, then I want something in return," Elspeth gritted his teeth, nodding curtly, "what did you tell Slate last night? We could all hear his fear from miles away, I want to know what you said to him. He put up walls, pretty solid ones too, but I saw your face before he could. I know it was you," fear? Elspeth knew he had to have expected something like that but hearing it aloud was difficult. His honesty actually scared Slate? Maybe he should have just kept his feelings to himself.