First Move

"Ah Ba!" Faye's voice rang through the mansion as she ran to her father's dressing room, bursting through the door like a tornado.

Jason Chow-Feng shot up from his seat, alarmed at the urgency in his daughter's voice. "What's wrong?" He asked, concerned, as Faye appeared with wide eyes and wild hair.

"Why didn't you tell me you're going to see a boy tonight?"

And that was all it took for Jason to be torn between breathing sigh of relief at finding out that nothing was threatening the life of his daughter, annoyed at how Faye had scared him so much, and amused that she was so worked up over a boy.

"Oh my god, Faye," He shook his head. "Don't do that to me. I thought you had hurt yourself."

His daughter sighed. "Sorry, Dad, but why didn't you tell me that you were having dinner with a cute boy tonight?"

Jason's eyes grew almost as wide as Faye's had been only seconds before when he realized what his daughter was insinuating. "No, Faye," He said firmly. "He's off the table."

"But he's cute!"

"That's not an excuse for you to be so obviously connected with our associates."

"Wouldn't it be better if I was, though?" Faye pressed. "If I can get into his head – and you know I can – I can make him agree to things, which means that we'll have an advantage over them."

"He's a magician, Faye. He could put a curse on you. How did you even find out about this?"

"Mark told me he was going to drive you to the Palace tonight, and you and Mom only ever go there for business dinners."

"What's all this yelling about?" Sandra asked, emerging from the corridor, her hair pulled up into a high ponytail from her early morning work-out in the basement gym.

"Ah Ma," Faye turned to her mother. "Dad won't let me go after boys!"

Sandra sighed. "Jason, we've been over this. She's seventeen – that's old enough."

"She wants to come with me tonight."

Sandra's head snapped towards Faye in a strange mixture of pride and horror. "That is out of the question."

"But they'll be more inclined to sign a deal that's unfair to them and better for us if I can get him interested in me!" Faye protested.

"Family and business are separate from one another." Jason said sternly. "That's how we've always done things, and that's how they always will be."

"Didn't you say that there would be two of them you were seeing? The cute, legit one and the old, cheap one? The two of us could match that, and I don't want you to be outnumbered. You know better than anyone it's a show of equal status, if not strength."

"Faye..."

"Dad..." Faye said in the same tone, with a look on her face that knew she was right. "We're about the same age, and we both know that I'm good at playing games. I've done this before."

"They're more dangerous than our usual partners, Faye." Sandra chipped in.

Jason nodded. "Yes, listen to your mother. Anyway, what happened to Bruce Wayne's boy? And what about Robin?"

Faye bit her lip, wondering if she should tell the truth under the guise of mulling over her father's words. "Dick's a friend – nothing more. As for Robin, he's just a flirt that I've only ever met once. I don't think he's coming back to see me unless we want him to."

"We're not doing that again," Jason said sternly. "It almost went awry last time."

"Yes," Sandra nodded. "The team almost blew their cover by jumping out at the drunks. If Robin had seen them, he would have realized something was off."