Patrol

As Richard Grayson, Dick continued to see Faye at school. She was mostly the same – sarcasm that was less cutting when directed towards him, and just as calculating as ever. Dick didn't learn much, other than how she had an oddly extensive knowledge on Shakespeare and that she really, really liked handbags:

"Is that another one? Do you have a different bag for each day of the week?"

"Shut up, Grayson. I've only brought three to school so far."

"How many do you have exactly?"

"Enough to fill with rocks, launch at you like projectiles and still have plenty leftover to do it all again if most of them miss."

But as Robin, he only ran into her on the Fengs' eleventh day in Gotham, and the result was Batman having to grab him by the cape to keep the boy from dropping down.

"Wait," He ordered. "I want to see what happens."

"What do you think will happen?" Robin hissed, snatching the fabric of his uniform back. "She's Faye Feng! She's going to get jumped, or probably worse!"

"From what you told me earlier today, the girl's smart and more than aware of her status." Batman said, his voice gruffer during the night than it was during the day. "There has to be a reason that she's walking around at midnight."

"Or maybe she just doesn't know how bad of a city Gotham is! She's been around for less than two weeks!"

"I don't think so. She should be busy settling into her new house. This is deliberate."

"Well, deliberate or not, I'm going down there before someone guts her with a knife."

"Robin," Batman snapped, patience running thin. "Until there is an immediate threat in our line of sight, you do not let her know that we are watching her."

"I am taking her home. Right now."

"No, you are not – Robin!"

Batman made a swift grab for his protégé's collar, only for Robin to nimbly twist away. In the blink of an eye, he had left the rooftop, and had ducked down into the alleyway beside the building.

Robin's boots hit the ground soundlessly. He watched as Faye walked past the mouth of the alley. She was still dressed in her Gotham Academy uniform, short blue skirt and all. The only difference was that her blue blazer had been stuffed into her handbag. Her black heels clicked loudly against the gravel, and the night was so quiet that it echoed through the streets, while her shadow kept her company, revealed by the flickering amber glow of the streetlights.

As her figure went by, Robin waited for a second or two before walking out onto the sidewalk, only to hear heavy footfalls. He immediately pressed himself against the side of the building, back into the shadows. He was quiet enough that whoever was behind Faye didn't notice.

From the shambling, stumbling footsteps, Robin figured that there were three boys, about a year or two older than himself, and they were so intoxicated that he was surprised he couldn't smell the alcohol wafting off them.

His deductions were proved right as the shadows depicted exactly what Robin had imagined. The boys were all taller and bulkier than he was, but they were hardly the most dangerous adversary Robin had ever faced. For Faye, though, they posed one hell of a threat, and they had obviously noticed her. It was hard not to, even for people who were black-out drunk.

"Hey!" The boy on the left shouted as the trio came to a stop, almost having to lean on each other for support. "Is that who I think it is?"

"I'll be damned!" The one on the right, who had a baseball cap on, cackled. "It's Sandra Feng's kid!"