Chapter Two: An Uncouth Bridegroom

Chastity looked at her appearance in the mirror and sighed. She could not even recall the last time she had dressed up so fancily. Her hair was up off her neck and pinned in nicely shaped tresses though a few unruly curls did escape from the confines and framed her face. She wore a simple beaded and wide head band over the crown of her air. A pearl strand necklace was wrapped around her slender neck and she was wearing a beautiful blue and white ensemble with gold embellishments and gold slippers. Indeed she looked quite the sight and a true lady of the court. Such a shame she did not feel so grand at the moment.

Her lady’s maid smiled and finished with the last of the lacings. “You look beautiful milady. I am sure this soon to be husband of yours will be pleased by you.”

Chastity smiled at her though the smile did not reach her blue eyes. “Thank you,” she said gently then stepped down off the stool and fixing the skirts of her dress then glancing at her daughter who was dressed for court as well. Her little girl would not be downstairs long but just long enough to be introduced to the Duke of Kent. Chastity thought it a good idea for them to be introduced immediately. After all, if things went as the King planned, she and this Duke would be married within a month’s time or less and so it was important for him to meet Cate right off.

“Are you ready to go my little dove?” she asked curiously. Cate nodded grinning and Chastity smiled at her and nodded then walked with her outside the chamber and then started down the hall. It would be a long night.

When they came to the large hall, the tables were lined with food and people, others were dancing and King Henry was with his new wife Queen Jane who had just announced her pregnancy. She was a pretty woman and it seemed that Henry was besotted with her. Keeping Cate’s hand in her own, she walked through the crowd and then walked up to the King. He was no longer the thin and athletic jack of all trades. Indeed he was starting to gain weight and she imagined it was from the wound upon his leg that he’d gotten from a jousting accident. He was busy laughing and talking with his wife when she approached but paused when he noted her presence. Quickly, she curtseyed and rose and he smiled, standing and walking around.

“Countess Wiltshire…” he greeted, bowing over her hand and giving her knuckles a brush of the lips.

“Your Majesty,” she greeted simply then cleared her throat and withdrew her hand, watching the man look at her then at little Cate by her side. He stooped down on one knee and offered his hand.

“And you are Lady Catherine…? Yes?” he asked and her daughter gave a shy nod, putting her tiny hand into his larger one. He gave her little knuckles a kiss and then stood. She gave King Henry credit where it was due. He could be charming when it suited him. As he stood, he smiled.

“It is glad I am to see you Countess…you never come to court anymore since the passing of your late husband…I was pleased when you agreed with my decision of a rematch. I understood that you were pained after your husband passed away but your lands are rich and you need a husband…”

She wanted to give a retort but she decided the wisest decision was acquiescence. After all, the man was temperamental and she had no desire to get on his bad side. It might mean losing everything above the neck. “I understand…I do wish, however, your majesty, that you had allowed me more time to adjust and to meet him before a public function. Even so…” she gave a smile that did not reach her eyes and then cleared her throat. “You have not yet introduced me to your wife majesty…you know I do not come to court often,” she said and he chuckled and then walked back to his seat and sat by Jane then motioned her forward. “Jane…this is Countess Wiltshire…Lady Chase…” he grinned. Jane smiled and nodded her head in acknowledgement.

“Countess…” she said and then put her hand over her husband’s.

“My Queen,” Chastity bowed then stood and cleared her throat. “An honor to finally make your acquaintance and might I congratulate you on your recent discovery. I am sure you will give our King his heir…”