pâton

(human bakery!au)
(pâton means small cute bread in French)
••••••••••••••••••••••••••
(First-person Patton POV)
••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I turned the open sign on the door, squinting against the sun peeking through the door.
I've still got ten minutes until our actual opening time, but always like being a little earlier because someone might need an emergency cake! Or an emergency bagel, or an emergency cupcake, or some emergency bread, or-
The phone rings and I'm pulled out of my emergency dessert thoughts.
I make my way behind the freshly cleaned counter and pick up the pastel blue phone. "Hiya! Patton's Pâton, this is Patton speaking!"
I've run this shop for about five years now, I started out with just selling bread, but then I moved on to more sweets themed things.
"Hello? Hi." A guy with a smooth, calm voice speaks on the other end. "Could you be ready for pick up in 25 minutes, almost exactly?"
I press the phone to my ear with my shoulder, reaching over for a pen and a notepad.
"Maybe? What do ya need?"
He clears his throat and I can hear the crinkling of paper on the other end.
"Um, I would like a box of Pâton's, 8 chocolate frosted cupcakes, any toppings, and a box of chocolate-covered strawberries."
I quickly jot down his order.
I hear a really faint yell in the background, and the guy on the line sighs. "And a strawberry donut ice cream sandwich."
I have to try really hard not to chuckle. He was smart to order ahead, most of those items sell out fast. I scribble down the last order.
There's a different yell now, a little quieter than the last, then I hear the guy on the line put his hand against the phone and say; "No." A little too loudly.
There's another sigh and his hand comes off the speaker.
"Sorry about that."
"It's fine, really!" There's something about him that makes me really want to know what this guy looks like. Or what he acts like. Or-! Shoot! I should stop daydreaming about this stranger now because I have to finish his order. "And who should I put this under?"
This question is routine, but I'm actually excited to find out about this fella's name.
"Logan, but don't be surprised if a Roman or a Virgil comes in."
Shoot.
"Okayyy, that's some Pâton's, chocolate cupcakes, chocolate covered strawberries aaaand a strawberry donut ice cream sandwich! Under Logan, Roman and Virgil. That all?"
"Yes, that'll be all. Thank you."
"Of course! I'll have that ready by..." I peer down at my watch. "10:15! See you then!"
He hangs up first and I immediately start bustling to get stuff together.
••••••••••••••••••••
There's not much business during the half-hour of the time. A girl comes in and leaves without anything, (besides a selfie outside). At 10:13, the bell on the door rings as I'm finishing everything up.
A tall guy with combed-back hair and glasses steps in, walking straight towards the counter. He's wearing black skinny jeans, a dark grey shirt, and a blue-ish tie. Maybe I shouldn't be staring at him so hard.
"Hi! You must be Logan! Or Roman or Virgil." I take a moment to think. "You give off a Logan vibe."
He smirks a little, adjusting his glasses. "You're correct."
"Yes!" I pump my fist in the air, but then I feel slightly embarrassed, so I put it down, not knowing exactly what to do with them. But-Oh! Now I remember that, duh, I have to give him his bag.
"Uh. Here! That's everything."
"I would hope so."
Darn it, darn it, darn it.
There's something about him that makes all nervous and jittery and butterflies all flying in my stomach.
He grabs the bag and turns, but there's something calling me towards him.
Maybe it's fate, or destiny, or some higher power pushing us together but I just know I have to talk to this boy. I need to talk to this boy.
"Hey, Logan, Wait!"
He's just about right to push open the door, when he turns back to me, taking a step forward.
"Yes? Is there a problem?"
"No, no! There's no problem!"
"Well," He fidgets with the plastic bag. "What is it then?"
Darn it. The words part. I twirl the cord of the phone around my finger.
Words, words, words. Come on, give me something!
Phone. Phone? Phone!
Yes!
"Um, who was the guy yelling on your end of the phone?"
He rubs his temples, sighing. I guess he does that a lot.
"You could hear him?"
I nod, chuckling a little. "Yup."
"That was Roman. He lives in the apartment next to me. He's been begging me to come here for the longest time. That's why I ordered the chocolate covered strawberries and that-" He laughs a little. "-ridiculous dessert." He catches my eye. "No offense."
"None taken, being ridiculous is what makes it fun!"
Logan pushes up his glasses. "If you say so, Patton."
Patton.
My name.
My name coming from this cute stranger's mouth.
Wow.
He turns again, but I can't let him leave just yet. Roman can wait for his strawberry donut ice cream sandwich.
"What about the other guy?"
Logan spins around again.
"Oh, Virgil?"
I nod, resting my head in hands, leaning on the counter. "Yeah. That one."
"He lives with Roman, but they both practically live with me. He's the one who ordered the cupcakes."
"Aww! You're so sweet-" Accent on the 'sweet'. "-for buying your friends deserts!"
He rolls his eyes at the pun but smiles a bit.
"It's nothing. I'm usually the one who does errands anyway. Virgil doesn't drive and Roman is usually pretty busy. I'm on my way to work anyway!"
"Oh! Oh, I hope I'm not making you late-"
He cuts me off before I can finish.
"It's okay. I allotted an extra 15 minutes for unprecedented small talk or any other situations."
I can't help but plaster this goofy smile all over my face.
"Hey, Logan?"
"Yes?"
Am I really gonna do this?
I am really this involved in some attractive, attentive, adorably smart guy I just met?
Yeah, I think I might be.
"Could I," I swallow. "Could I have your number?"
He makes his way back up to the counter and pulls out a pen.
"Sure, Patton."
"Great." I flip my notepad over to him, still with my notes about his order on it.
He writes his number in perfect handwriting and smiles when he looks up at me.
"I'll see you around, Pâton."
Pâton. Pâte is French bread. The -on suffix means small and cute.
He may have just been calling me French bread, but I know he's smart.
So maybe he is calling me small and cute.