Prologue

Muawiya ibn Abu Sufiyan

Leader of Syria

Ruler of the Muslims of Arabia

Fifth Caliph of the Muslims

My dear beloved son,

By the time you read this, I will have passed onto the next world. I have left you, but never think I have left you helpless. There may be no father who has done more for his son’s success in life than I have. I have done all that you can imagine—which knowing your limited use of intellect is not much—and more, to make certain that the robe of Caliphate and the rule of the nation falls in your hands, and your hands alone. But, forgive me, alas, I am afraid.

I know of your habits, your way of dealing, I am afraid that even after all that I have given you, you will in your own stupidity let it all to waste. So hear my advice and follow it to the letter.

              I have fastened the load of pain and warded off rebellion from you and have straightened up matters. I have tamed the enemies; have brought the reins of Arabia in your hands, and have accumulated that for you which no one has done. Heed this advice.

Consider the people of Iraq in your decisions and rulings. If they desire that you dispose a governor every day, do not refuse for it is easy to change a governor than face 10 000 drawn swords at you. Favour the people of Syria over all the others for they are your near ones and your last resorts. If you fear an enemy, ask for their help. And when they have accomplished what was desired of them, return them to the city, for if they stray elsewhere, their manner and loyalties will change with little effort.

                Demand the oath of allegiance of the masses; though I have violated the peace treaty of Hassan ibn Ali by appointing you as Caliph after me, I do not fear of the refusal of the people. There are only four people whose refusal is dangerous to you.

                The first is Abdullah ibn Umar. Though he may revolt, he is not a great threat. Worship has broken him, if he sees no man protecting him, no followers following him, he will succumb to your will.

                The second is Abdullah ibn Zubayr. Force allegiance from him, if he refuses, it is not great matter as you may behead him.

                Then, Abdul Rahman ibn Abu Bakr is your enemy though like Abdullah ibn Umar, with no companions by his side, he is no threat.

                The last man who shall refuse your Caliphate must become your friend of you wish to sit on the throne for any length of time. He will not get support from the people of Iraq until he is forced to revolt. If you must go to war with him, do so, but spare his life as it holds much value for you. He is the grandson of the prophet and the true owner of your throne, he is the son of Ali; he is Hussain.