twenty-five

❀

As all the students trickled in for the first dinner of the school year, Remus couldn't help but glance back at Gracelyn and Tobias who were still glued to the hip.

Sirius pulled Remus in with his arm and rustled his hair around. "Moony, like I said, staring won't help. Instead, focus on the juicy chicken legs for dinner."

Remus rolled his eyes. "You've an affinity for chicken legs, I swear."

"What can I say? The way to my heart is through my stomach."

The older students settled in at their tables, while Professor McGonagall would lead the first years in later. Sage was forced to separate herself from Emmeline, seeing as it was the first dinner of the school year and she was required to be at her own table.

Remus's eye twitched at the realization that because Gracelyn and Tobias were both Ravenclaws, they could continue to sit next to each other. His eye rarely twitched, but he learned it only happened when he was genuinely ticked off.

As usual, the Marauders sat with each other, listening to Headmaster Dumbledore's yearly welcome speech as the first years trickled in, wide-eyed in awe and fear.

Remus ignored the names Professor McGonagall called out and the Houses the Sorting Hat shouted out. He stared at Gracelyn and Tobias, who weren't doing anything inappropriate. Instead, their eyes were glued to the first years and the Sorting Hat. They were behaving as students should have been. He couldn't find anything to point out, which he wanted to. Normal couples were all over each other, groping wherever they could, kissing whenever allowed.

He wondered if they had a kissing agreement just as he and Gracelyn did the previous year. He wouldn't put it past her, seeing as he had caught her snogging Sage a week after he broke off their agreement. Whether they were dating or not, he still didn't like it, but there was nothing he could do about it. He was barely friends with her, so he couldn't act like an overprotective boyfriend or brother.

Sirius pinched Remus's thigh, causing him to jolt.

"Ouch!" he hissed.

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Get over it, Moony. Come on, focus on something else besides Cohen - anything else."

Remus frowned but forced himself to look away from Tobias and Gracelyn. He knew Sirius was right, which was something that rarely happened.