four

❀

If she got caught, Gracelyn would use the excuse that she loved to go up to the Astronomy Tower because she had to for her Astronomy paper. Truthfully, she simply liked watching the stairs in the middle of the night where there was no one to talk and disturb the calm silence.

She heard footsteps behind her, internally cringing at the fact of being caught by a Ravenclaw Prefect. She turned around, ready to defend herself, but the words died in her throat once she sighted a slightly disheveled Remus with a bottle of Firewhisky in his hand.

"Uh - hello?" Her voice came out squeaky and nervous.

"Sorry," mumbled Remus.

The bottle didn't seem to be empty enough for him to be drunk, but she was sure he was slightly tipsy. His words were coherent and he didn't wobble when he walked.

"You can sit with me if you'd like. Company is always welcome," said Gracelyn, a little too loudly.

She had decided to take Lily and Sage's advice. She couldn't simply stare at him for the rest of their years at Hogwarts. Truthfully, she could, but she would rather do more with her time - like getting to know Remus and properly talk to him.

Remus hesitated. The whole purpose of distancing himself from the Marauders was to not hurt them, but here he was, thinking about sitting with a girl he barely knew on the ledge of the Astronomy Tower with a bottle of Firewhisky in his hand.

She offered a soft smile. "I don't bite."

Against his better judgment, he snorted at the slight joke behind her words and sat down next to her, hand extending toward her to offer the Firewhisky. She stared at the bottle, hesitating as her hand hovered to grab it.

"I've never..."

"It's all right. I haven't either until tonight," he replied.

Her eyes glanced up at his own. She realized his eyes were the color of the chocolate he liked to eat. Her hand curled around the bottle as she took it from him before tilting the contents into her mouth and down her throat. She coughed slightly behind handing it back to him. He had a smile on his face as he watched her pat her chest for relief.

"It's...something," she breathed out.

He could see the fog from the warmth of her breath shading the cold air. She was smart to wear a sweater, while Remus was left without anything covering his top except his white button-up.

He chuckled. "Yeah, well, perhaps I'll get used to it soon."

"Why's that?"

Her eyes were curious as expected of a Ravenclaw, but they were gentle which surprised Remus. She was a stranger.

"What's your name?" he blurted out.

She didn't feel rejected at all. She already knew he wouldn't know who she was. She wasn't noticeable.

"Gracelyn Cohen," she whispered.

"I'm Remus Lupin."

She smiled. "Yes, I know. You're very popular."

He offered a smile, but it was strained. "I wish I wasn't. I'd rather have attention from people I know."

"Oh - I'm sorry. Should I leave?"

She began to get up, but Remus stopped her.

"No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean... I mean, I meant that, but your company is comforting. I've been more of a loner lately, but this is nice."

Gracelyn settled back down and Remus relaxed before he slipped off the ledge. She yelped, grabbing him before he could plummet down.

"Thanks," he breathed out.

She took the Firewhisky from him. "I don't think this is very good, especially if you're prone to climb up towers. You should find another way to...drown your sorrows, I suppose."

"What do you suggest?"

He turned to look at her and she could see the moonlight glistening against his lips with a thin layer of Firewhisky coating his lips.

"Would you consider becoming kissing buddies?" she blurted out.