time | observations

Him
I watched the old couple as they weaved through the crowd, their hands latched together with strong bonds. I wished for something like that, someone who could love me as much as I love you. I wanted to have you to myself, but he had to gotten you first

I knew that he liked you, how could I not? He was my best friend after all. He had told me how perfect you were and how you were the best thing that could ever happen to him. He talked of you so often, that I somehow developed a crush of my own. The first time I saw you, I couldn't help but stare until you finally asked if you had something on your face. I said no and looked away.

When he came up to me and asked me if I had a crush on you, I shook my head when I should've said yes.

It was a mistake of many to come.

Weeks went on and I saw you day after day, only you were in the hands of him, not me.

We exchanged prolonged glances too many times and soon he is slipping away with you in his arms, out of my life before I could ask the idiotic question of why. I continued to see you every now and then, but still, he was with you. It was like you two were latched together, a bubble around you for safe keeping. When he saw me staring after having distanced himself, he glared and dragged you away like a rag doll and it was then that I would see the marks on your stomach when your shirt rose.

It was only an observation, but there was a serious inference that I could make.

Abuse? No, I couldn't see why he would do that to you, how he could try to ruin something so beautiful and so fragile.

After some weeks, I finally went up to him when you weren't around and asked if you had hurt yourself. He had said no and walked away with clenched fists, answering the question in a way that his words could not.

If only time could stop, just for a moment, to give back what you've lost. For I have lost too much myself. Family loss was the norm in this timeless world, but I wished to have him back. He was a good friend and time drove us apart. It at first saddened me, but then time showed me who he really was. Time made me realize that people are not always who they say they are.

I wanted to call the authorities, but I knew that it would only make things worse unless there was proof. So when I found you alone, I confronted you.

You had burst into tears and confirmed my suspicions and I myself shed a few tears afterward. To know that he was breaking you only gave me the courage to have him put behind bars. It was also time that gave me the push I needed to get close to you, for only it could tell what would happen.

I knew that I would have to give you more time to move on, so for now I just stuck with being the friend that you needed.

Her
As harsh as it sounds, it was actually you who I wanted. You looked so bright and happy behind him, that I wanted your secret to such happiness. But then he said that he wanted me, so I agreed, thinking that you had lost your chance.

Me and him dated while he pushed you farther away when catching those fleeting looks between you and I. "What's going on with you," he had asked me once and I attempted to play dumb out of fear. He had meant the relationship between you and I and I denied his accusations without thought.

It was a mistake of many to come.

The fights started after our first interaction after he pulled away from you. You were talking to someone else and I had lingered my gaze on you for far too long. He noticed and his glare at you when you looked at me answered my question of whether or not he would act upon my actions.

When alone together, he had asked about plans with you involved. Stupid me, though, I was unable to hide the hint of excitement when I attempted to respond nonchalantly. Much to my dismay, he angrily demanded that we were forbidden to see each other. "How come," I'd responded, "We're just good friends."

And we were. Too good of friends, I knew, which again led me to yearning for your happiness. But it was not just that that I wanted, it was you too. I wanted to see your smile and your laugh and for you to tell me how beautiful I looked.

He didn't like my answer, that much was obvious when he slapped me with the force of a heartbreak. He stormed away after shouting his previous statement once again, slamming the door behind him.

Week after week, I was getting weaker with all the shouting and hitting and kicking. When our paths crossed, my gaze burned into your skull with the plea of getting away. Away from him and his rage. Away from life itself, if you will.

Time never ceased to amaze me, what with its cruel way of slowing down and speeding up. Life gave me time to think, too much time, if you ask me. I'd once again thought of you and your happiness and wondered if you felt that way still. Did you move on to someone else and give her your happiness? I had selfishly hoped not.

When you stopped me from walking away, I was relieved at once. You asked me about the marks and I didn't bother denying them. You were the escape I needed from him.

You put him away from me and from everyone and I just cried and cried. Whether or not they were tears of joy or sorrow, I didn't know and I don't want to know. For I now have you and you may have me, as that is all that I have to offer.

Time gave me you and your happiness.