Chapter 60

What I saw in front of was mind-blowing. I couldn't comprehend what was occurring. Rodeo Drive was completely trashed; graffiti was everywhere, and all the buildings looked as though they had been ransacked. Whatever Charming had done, it caused total devastation in the kingdom. As we all looked around, Shrek spotted a marionette theatre machine and saw a wooden puppet dancing around inside.

"Pinocchio?" I heard Shrek say, and he hurried over to it. The rest of us followed in pursuit.

"Shrek! Help me," Pinocchio cried.

"Pinocchio! What's happened?" Shrek asked.

"Charming and the villains have taken over everything!" he explained. "They attacked us, but Fiona and the Princesses got away. And now she's-"

Before Pinocchio could finish his sentence, the red curtain dropped in front of him.

"She's what?! She's what!?" Shrek panicked, banging on the glass. He looked down and noticed that he had to put money into the machine to get it running again.

"Puss, loan me five bucks!" he urged, turning to Puss, who was in Donkey's body.

"C'mon Puss, you heard the man, help a brother out." Donkey said.

"Do you see any pockets on me?" Puss asked.

"Hold on a second." Donkey uttered. He took off his boot and out fell a bag full of money. "Aha!"

"I had no idea ...really ...I swear." Puss laughed nervously.

Shrek quickly dumped the money into the machine. Once he did that, the music started playing, and the curtain went up.

"Quick, Pinocchio! Where is Fiona?"

"Charming's got her locked away someplace secret. You gotta find him! He's probably getting ready for the shooowww...." The curtain then lowered in front of Pinocchio once again.

"Wait, wait, wait! Pinocchio! What show?" Shrek asked. Pinocchio's hand popped out, and it pointed to a poster not too far from where we were.

"What is this?" I said aloud, as we examined the image.

On it was a picture of Charming holding sword raised into the air, his foot pinned on Shrek's stomach as he lay on the ground.

"It's a happily ever after, after all!" Puss readout.

"Shrek's final performance?" Shrek questioned.

"Whoa, Shrek!" Donkey gasped. "You didn't tell us you were in a play."

"Well, I guess I've been so busy I forgot to mention it!" Shrek said sarcastically.

Just then, a group of knights appeared and came running towards us, backing us into the alleyway we were in.

"It's the ogre! Get him!" One knight yelled.

"Don't worry, Jefe. I got this." Puss said, walking over towards them.

"Erm Puss, I don't think what you're planning is going to work," I whispered.

However, he ignored me and tried to do his 'cute baby eyes thing.' As I expected, it didn't work. It looked really creepy and off-putting.

"Ugh! Kill it!" Another knight cried.

Before they could do anything, Artie glared at the poster and stepped out in front of them.

"Look, don't you know who he thinks he is?" Artie asked. "How dare you?"

"Donkey, we're dealing with amateurs." Shrek groaned.