Chapter 25

It was difficult to see mum so unwell, I can't imagine the unbearable pain she must have been in. It hurt that I couldn't do anything to take away all the agony she was experiencing. Despite all of this, she would always make me and Daniel laugh and keep my dad smiling. I know she didn't want us to be in low spirits, and I admired her for that. There were days where she would be fine, but then there were days that she wasn't; those were the worse days to see her struggle. She would sometimes have to be bedridden for days on end, just so that her body could rest and gain as much strength it needed. However, she refused to let this stop her from doing the things she enjoyed, like spending time with my brother and me.

Over the next two months, nothing crazy happened at the house. Well, except for my birthday, which mum argued was pretty crazy. I don't understand why she made such a big deal about it; turning fifteen wasn't anything exciting. She insisted on making me a birthday cake, and as much as I emphasised that I didn't want one, I found her downstairs with my brother in the kitchen.

"I told her to stay in bed." Daniel shrugged. "But she refused to listen to me."

"Mum, is all this necessary?" I asked.

"Of course it is," she said, "Just because I'm ill doesn't mean I'm incapable of-"

Suddenly, half of her body unexpectedly jolted, causing her to slightly lean forward on the counter. Daniel hastily went to her side as I dashed over to them.

"Mum? What's wrong?" Daniel asked.

"I-I am fine." She insisted, gritting her teeth. Her eyes squeezing tighter by the second.

"You need to rest," I added, placing my hand on her shoulder. "Come one, let us get you back to bed."

"No, I need to finish this for you, sweetheart," She stuttered. "And I want to give you your present afterward."

"Mum, you're going upstairs, and that's an order!" I demanded. "Daniel and I will finish off the cake and will bring it up to you so we can have a mini celebration. Ok?"

"Ok." She whimpered, dragging her feet along the floor as we led her up to her room.

It didn't too long for the cake to be done, though Daniel thought himself as a master baker and figured he could do it all by himself. It didn't go too well five minutes after he said this, but luckily for him, I stepped in to help. It wasn't the best cake, but it was ok for me. We took it upstairs to mum where she and Daniel sang happy birthday to me. 

I could see him trying his best to outsing mum, but he didn't sound like what he might have pictured in his mind. An opera singer? No chance. Dad strolled in, not too long after I blew out my candles. I wasn't bothered by this in the slightest. Mum had got me a beautiful silver necklace; it's shining yellow stone almost took my breath away.

"That was your grandmother's, you know?" She smiled. "Passed down to me, and now to you. Hopefully, someday to your children."

"Thanks, mum, I love it!" I exclaimed, giving her a gentle hug.

Daniel had somehow made a pretty impressive photo frame with the oak wood from the garden. I got to hand it to him, he knew how to craft well for his age. As for dad, well, he got me a journal, which wasn't the worst present he had ever given me. I've had worse through the years. I didn't know when I would ever use it, but I figured it would be used someday. What I didn't know was that day would be much closer than I ever thought or anticipated.