Cнα⅊тɛʀ 13 (edited)

Start from the beginning

“No. I still have some work to finish, be patient”, he ordered, and I huffed in despair. I slumped in my chair and drowned in my sorrows for a longing I wouldn’t get to accept. Home was calling for me through a siren song and I could feel my arms itching to just pick up my belongings and rush after the melody, but I couldn’t. Orders were orders and I had to carry them out.

After our conversation had abruptly finished, I didn’t bother interrupting him or speaking to him. ‘The quicker he looks through those files, the quicker I get to go home’, so with that in mind I scrolled through my phone and stalked a few people from high school. Nothing interesting popped up but even that activity hadn’t quenched my boredom, so I continued to scroll away for the sole purpose of not reaching over the table and strangling Elijah in anger.

He was doing everything on his own and it infuriated me to the core to know that I wasn’t even needed for this meeting. ‘Why did he even bother calling me over here?’ If all he was going to do was talk to Nick on his own, discuss the terms and conditions, negotiate prices, stocks, and orders, and then sit there and go through future predictions of their partnership, then why was I here? I wasn’t a doll for show, and I wasn’t going to accept just being useless, but he had ordered me to be quiet and then forced me to continue being silent after the meeting as he worked through some papers on his own. It was ridiculous.

I was silently fuming at this point when Elijah raised his hand and the same waiter from before came scurrying to the devil to take another order of champagne. I rolled my eyes and stared at the clock the time striking to show it was eight in the evening.

“Would you like a glass of champagne? We should be celebrating after all”, Elijah suggested with a simple tilt of his head and the waiter watched me, waiting for an answer.

“No thank you. I’ll just wait for you to finish”, I replied as Elijah furrowed his eyebrows, unhappy with my answer but didn’t bother contradicting me. He dismissed the waiter and continued looking through the files, not bothering to ask me why I didn’t want to drink any alcohol.

The truth was, I didn’t want to get drunk. When alcohol and I mixed together, I became the Hyde to my Jekyll. Memories flitted past my eyelids as I recounted a time, I had gathered the courage to drink just a little more than usual. Shot after shot, I downed it all down till the mixtures sloshed in the pit of my stomach and I danced to my hearts content. The music had blurred, and my vision had hazed, senses merging into one. The entire time was a mess and once I woke up the next day the killer hangover was attacking me full force.
I learnt my lesson since then and stayed far away from my worst enemy. It didn’t help that Jane still teased me about it, even after all the time that had passed. When she saw my pitiful state, she couldn’t even believe that I was that carnal animal that had ravaged itself on alcohol. I inwardly cringed, ‘My younger days were much more adventurous and eye opening than the life I was living now.’ I believed in that statement with so much passion that I started to struggle keeping a laugh from bubbling past my lips. Slight giggles fought through the barrier, and it caught Elijah’s attention as he watched me, his face showing confusion and then scorn.

“What are you laughing at? Do I look funny to you?” He asked with the temperament of a grizzly bear. ‘Called it, he always ends up misreading my actions’, I thought as the laughs were getting harder to keep under control. I saw his fists clench and he dropped the papers onto the table, his eyes narrowing under scrutiny. I coughed a few times, hoping to lodge the giggles.

“Um, no. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you, sir”, I replied as my eyes watered and my throat tickled. I avoided looking at Elijah. His entire demeanour of an upset child only fuelled me even more.