Dangerous Secrets

Part 3: Dangerous Secrets

When Elena reached Wickery Bridge, she saw a dark figure leaning over the bridge looking at the water. Klaus.

She parked at the end of the bridge, pulled out her keys with a shaky hand and opened the door. She wasn't exactly sure what Klaus would say but she was scared. She took in a uneven breath and watched as she could see the outline of her breath in the air. She pulled her jacket tighter and started walking towards Klaus, looking directly at him, feeling a sudden boost of confidence.

Klaus continued to watch the water, even as he heard Elena stop right next to him. He planned to tell her what happened and about how he was feeling. He waited on the bridge for thirty minutes before she showed, and in that time he changed his mind. When he thought he fancied Caroline it made him weak...she was his weakness. What happens if he falls in love with Elena? Love would make him weak and he couldn't have that.

"Klaus," Elena deadpanned, crossing her arms to keep warm.

"I'm surprised you showed up, luv," Klaus smiled, turning away from the water to face Elena. When he saw her he wanted so badly to tell her the truth, but he couldn't. He turned back to face the water, staring deeply into it.

"I want to know what happened last night," Elena replied, standing anxiously on the balls of her feet.

"Ah, quite the light-weight," Klaus chuckled. Elena rolled her eyes at his comment and went to stand next to him.

"So, what happened?" She asked, "I remember, the ball and everything up to when I got out the alcohol and the rest is a bit hazy. Did I do anything that bad?"

"Ah, it wasn't exactly what you did," he corrected, "though you did some interesting things," Klaus commented, smirking at the memory.

"Okay... What did I say?" Elena asked, looking at him with innocent doe eyes.

"See, Elena I was going to tell you about last night but, I can't," he admitted, and Elena realized what he was about to do. He grabbed the sides of her face gently and looked into her eyes. "Last night, you went home after the ball, I never went to your house. You were alone the whole time, drinking until you fell asleep. When you get to your house you will remember going to the bridge to clear your mind, and you won't remember this conversation."

Elena repeated his words mechanically and walked back to her car, not remembering anything.

When Elena got back home she wasn't really shocked to see Damon and Stefan in her kitchen.

"Who was here last night?" Stefan asked, looking at the two glasses on the table.

"No one," Elena answered easily, leaning against the counter. Stefan didn't seem to believe her but figured they had bigger things to worry about.

"We need a plan to kill Esther before she finds out that you've double crossed her." Damon said, turning towards her, while he leaned against the entry way.

"Okay..." Elena sighed, "How do you suppose we do that?"

"She's powerful, but Bonnie's magic can probably match Esther's." Stefan answered, not looking at Elena.

"She was dead in a box for a thousand years, what makes you think she'll stay dead now?" Elena asked, pulling off her jacket and setting down her keys.

"I'll call Bonnie and tell her to come her so we can make a plan." Stefan said, walking out of the room, with his phone in hand.

"What were you thinking?" Damon asked, walking towards her. Elena didn't answer.