• ━ • 14: Botany • ━ •

Start from the beginning

(I do not own the artwork below. It was created using an app called: PitzMaker)

"Acalian, a lost language, that not many know of

"Acalian, a lost language, that not many know of. The plant, Aca, was the symbol of this civilization and was seen as a cure for all. The civilization only lasted for 300 years but had made huge leaps in alchemy, calculations, basic things that are still taught today. But that's a whole other topic." I said.

"That's far too short, are you sure it's 300?" she inquired. Meanwhile, Matcha was rolling around on the table. I honestly don't know what he's doing. Picking him up, I petted him, which he ended up snuggling into my hand, falling asleep. The other two played with Ciana's familiar, Velvet. 

"Well... I suppose technically the civilization lasted almost for 301 years and 245 days, but... most records say 300 years. The government was extremely weak, and corruption-plagued the time the civilization was alive. There were several factors for its short existence, but I don't think you want to listen to me retell the Acalian civilization's history. Since that's well over 4 hours, and we only have an hour before Tristian is back." I said. She laughed, agreeing, she then asked more about the book's contents, and what findings I found. 

An hour later, Tristian returned with a massive amount of Lotusweb, coincidentally, my conversation with Ciana reached the point on Lotusweb and what uses you can use with its ash. While Tristian was trying to interrupt me, I took the chance to convert the Lotusweb into ash, separating a bunch for other uses. 

"Hey, what do you think you're doing?!" Tristian demanded, seeing that I was burning the plant. 

"I'm turning it into ash, what else do you think I'm doing?" I asked, he was about to say something, but gladly Ciana intervened.

Alright, let's hope I remember how to make Lotusweb ink. "So you need 5 parts of water, 3 parts gum Arabic... hmm, I think I have that... Oh wait, I could use eggs instead, no, let's just use gum Arabic. So 3 parts of that, then what else? 1 part of ash, and to thin it, some alcohol." I muttered to myself.

Ciana's pov

   Hearing (y/n) calculating out loud, I was interested in what he'll create since he didn't have any container to store the ink, so how was he going to do it? Ismene wasn't at all angry that (y/n) was using fire magic, in a very flammable place. That just shows how much trust she has in him. 

"Alright, so this will take just a moment, please, whatever you do, try not to interfere with the process," he said, glancing at Tristian who ignored him. I nodded, naturally by now everyone's attention was on us, but I was wondering what (y/n) would do. 

  Before him the ash began to glow, levitating, he produced water, which became black from the ash. One after another, ingredients were added into the floating orb. He then stopped, reaching into his bag he pulled out several glass bottles, filling each one with the ink, not even a droplet was wasted. Everything happened so fast, that it was hard to keep track of what he had added. But he had done all the calculations in his head, as the ink was completely uniform and had a somewhat indigo hue.

"Lotusweb ink is a highly valued item among the wealthy, as it has a slightly flowery scent, and is hard to process... apparently. Lotusweb ink isn't hard for me to create, but I tend to use normal ash when creating ink.  Lotusweb ink is typically for those who dislike the normal scent of regular ink and is highly versatile in its usage. Typically a bottle this size would cost someone, 50 gold coins. Obviously, to our 'prince', here, that's nothing." (y/n) said, poking at Tristian with his comment on his wealth. Although it was slightly petty, it was less obvious than Tristian's overall egotistically attitude towards (y/n). And yet... 50 gold coins, for a tiny bottle. 

"So, if we ever need ink, just as (y/n), because that's a rip-off." Ismene said, picking up a bottle, she examined it closely. 

"Most things created for the wealthy is a ripoff, a lot of stuff is typically repackaged, altered slightly and sold at a much higher, more "exclusive" price for the wealthy. My parents told me that there's nothing in this world I can't create myself, so why spend money on something so expensive?" (y/n) stated. It then made me wonder who his parents were, since (y/n) rarely talked or really mention about his home life.

"That's because you haven't experienced luxury," Tristian stated, which (y/n) simply rolled his eyes at. It had gotten around 12ish, having spent essentially my entire morning being tutored by (y/n), that I realized I was really hungry. I couldn't finish my fruit salad for breakfast, ahh, but I don't want to say something, and I know people will follow me the moment I go to the cafeteria. 

  Or worse, Tristian will try to make me try another 8-course exotic meal, that just serves meat. 

Your pov

   Just as I was about to move on to another topic, I noticed that Ciana was reacting slightly slower than before. It had been about 5 hours since I started helping her, and I also knew that by now, Damon should be done with his Brooms class. 

"Why don't we take a break? It's nearly lunch, so I'm sure everyone's hungry by now. I'll be returning my dorm, and unless you want to continue your lesson there, though I'm sure Prince Charming here won't allow that. We can resume later." I stated, Hanami who all seemed hungry at this point, helped-at least, tried to help me pack my things. Yuki closed the books with his tail, Ichigo dragged my bag with Matcha helping, and somehow the three of them shoved a book into the bag from pushing it with their bellies. It was so cute, I wanted to pet all of them.

   It seemed that Ciana wanted to continue her lesson, ignoring Tristian, and her thoughts confirmed this. Since that was the case, I didn't try stopping her from following, though, her fans did. Ugh, the rumors are just going to be wild at this point. 

  With rumors already spreading of me supposedly "tormenting" and "trapping" Damon in my dorm, having mind-controlled him or whatever to become my slave, it was just ridiculous. Since no one else, besides Damon had seen the inside of the "dorm"/cave, people assumed the worse. While I personally would've kept it that way, Damon had already changed it. 

I then recalled he had cast the spell 'Dark Viel' around the dorm, allowing only myself and his entry. But it was transparent, so no one could tell, but... Damon is going to be so petty with this. Since Ciana ended up following me either way, Tristian followed, to "protect" her. 

Since my barrier can have a somewhat large radius, I activated 'Jade Shield' which completely protected Ciana and Tristian from the spell: Dark Viel. From the outside, the cave looked like any other one, with just a large wooden door with two thick steel latches. But the inside was basically an entire palace.

The Sakura tree was still in full bloom, because of the spell: Dark Viel, it made it so that the tree never withered, despite not having any time-related elements to the spells. Anyways I opened the door to lead the two in, and their reactions were understandably shocked. 

Ignoring the fact that columns were made from Oceanica, a very pricey stone that when combined with mana crystals, resulted in space expansion, it was very big and very different from the outside. 

   Since our voices echoed, in no time Damon appeared, slightly peeved at me, that I had bypassed his barrier and brought along two other people. I paid him no mind and went into the kitchen to decide on what to make, while Damon reluctantly entertained our guests.

Published on April 24, 2020