Sixteen|| Buildup

Start bij het begin

"Ariel is our Queen, and she saved the lives of our soldiers, endangering her own!" Zoe pushed through the crowd, Kylee at her side.

"And you brought out the freaks in two of our kids," Stephanie added, stirring the anger in me.

Their eyes were shining blue and purple, hands balled up into fists.

"Girls," I said warningly, turning my head to meet their eyes. "Put it out."

They reluctantly let their eyes go back to their own color.

"Stephanie, she's done more for us than you ever have!" Tessa said loudly, appearing beside the girls.

"Says the runaway Princess," Stephanie snapped back, and Tessa's eyes narrowed, a growl escaping her lips.

"ENOUGH!" I said loudly, my voice echoing throughout the hall. "If you have an actual problem get to it, because right now you're just wasting my time with your pathetic excuses. Insulting your pack members will not fly by me, is that understood? I am Queen of the Gifted and I will be Queen of the wolves, and you will not disrespect any of my people."

My eyes shone a bright, vibrant gold, and finally the brat took a step back.

Tristan walked forward, passing us and grabbing Stephanie by her throats pulling her close to him. Her eyes widened in fear.

"Never disrespect me or my Queen again." He hissed. He pushed her away from him roughly and she stumbled back.

Tristan turned on the people gathered, his eyes angry. "Anyone else?" He called, spreading his arms out, daring someone else to piss him off.

"Ariel is our Queen." Another woman called.

"She earned our respect!"

"She's not a freak, she's a hero!" A young boy said, jumping and trying to see over the taller wolves.

"Our Queen!" A soldier shouted, raising his fist in the air and hitting his chest with it, bowing.

"Our Queen!" The crowd echoed, following his example.

I felt my heart burst with happiness and pride, while also feeling humbled.

"Get back to work." Tristan said, turning away and taking my hand in his pulling me with him.

He pulled me down the hall and into an empty office room, slamming the door shut and turning on me, grabbing me around the waist and pulling me roughly to his chest.

He buried his face in my neck, inhaling my scent deeply, trying to calm himself.

"Tristan, baby, it's okay." I said softly.

"It's not okay," He snapped, straightening. He turned away and ran a hand through his hair roughly. "I cannot believe that she had the audacity to question my mate!"

He swiped his hand across the table, dislodging the papers and pens and sending them all across the room.

"Hey!" I walked up to him, grabbing his shoulders and pulling him to a stop, grabbing his face in my hands and making him look me in the eyes.

"This is America!" I told him firmly. "Our ancestors fought for our people to have their rights, and we continue fighting so they can keep their rights! You can't take those away when you feel like it. She spoke her mind and I put her in her place. What's done is done!"

He paused, his eyes staring at me with an unreadable emotion.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"You said our people." He whispered, and I paused, realizing how much that meant to him.