The Ivy League Part 36

Start from the beginning

           Jake’s face was torn, and I knew I had him. “Please,” I added another sob, and gave a sniff for extra effect.

           “All right, I’ll see what I can do,” Jake relented, and I gave him a beatific smile.

           “You’re the bestest!”

           “I know, I know,” Jake affirmed, turning back towards the house.

           “No need to be so modest, Jakey,” I admonished, and he didn’t even answer.

           When Jake was gone, it got boring. Grace, Jay and Jeremy had entered the house ages ago, and I was stuck on an empty lawn, in a Hummer, chained to the chair. How do I manage to get myself into situations like these?

           I sang along to the words of “Cross My Heart,” but after that, no song came. Just some random throbbing beat with no real words – it was some cheap pop song. I guess Marianas Trench finally took a break.

           I sighed, practiced crossing my eyes, hummed for as long as I could without stopping, held a conversation with a napkin, where I told it how underappreciated it was, and then I ran out of things to do. What was taking Jake so darn long?

           “BOO!”

           “AHHH!” I screamed, and turned to see a chuckling Mark. “Oh, frig, don’t do that!” I panted weakly. And then the silence got awkward.

           “Um, what are you doing here?” I asked. “I thought no Leaguers were invited.”

           Mark shrugged, looking at me sheepishly. I guess he felt bad around me, since it was his best friend who had broken my heart.

           Don’t think about that, that’s why you were talking to napkins for Pete’s sake, I told myself.

           “I guess that means I’m gate-crashing then,” Mark’s voice broke in, a welcome diversion from my thoughts.

           “Oh, naughty boy,” I said in a monotone.

           “Um,” Mark cleared his throat nervously, and looked down, kicking the ground. Since the Hummer was so high up, I got a clear view of his curly hair. I vaguely wondered what it would be like if I shredded a napkin and threw it into his curls. I guess I’m feeling better.

           “What?” I asked, amused, as Mark continued to look nervous.

           “I was wondering if Grace was with you,” he finally muttered, and I grinned. “I need to tell her something.”

           “She went inside ages ago,” I nodded towards the doorway where I could see people silhouetted, dancing.

           “Thanks,” Mark said, relieved I seemed okay around him. “You coming?” he asked, holding out his hand.

           “I’m a bit, um, tied up at the moment, but I’ll come in later.”

           “Okay,” Mark gave me a parting strange look, but left, headed towards Estelle’s house. A small part of me wondered that if Mark was here, did that mean his best friend was here too? But I refused the urge to call after Mark.

           “BOO!”

           “AHHHHHHHH!” I screamed again, louder than before.

           A grinning Jake popped up into view while I gave convulsive gasps.

           “Guess what the bestest person ever found?” sing-songed Jake, “These!” he cheerily held up the biggest pair of pliers I’ve ever seen in my life.