20

"Lacy?" Sophie asked. Kevin looked over at her, his eyes wide.

"Don't worry about it. We're not gonna talk about her," Kevin turned to Lindsay, shaking his head with his teeth clenched.

"Lacy Baker. Sweet girl. Tall, blonde, very pretty. Actually, she wore a dress just like that the first time we met her," Lindsay continued.

"Oh my god." Sophie's heart rate increased as she looked down at her lap.

"Are you okay, Sophie?" Mrs. Moon placed a hand on Sophie's trying to meet her gaze.

"This is Lacy's dress," Sophie mumbled. Kevin's face dropped. "She's Liam's cousin. He told me all about a rich kid that broke up with her because she didn't fit in with his friends and stuff but wow. This is not what I expected."

Lindsay's mouth dropped, and then quickly formed into a smirk. "And I thought this couldn't get any better, but you're telling me that this dress that you're wearing, the one I said was just like Lacy's, is Lacy's?"

Mrs. Chapman grabbed Lindsay by the arm, standing up and pulling her with her. "I'm sorry, Sophie, I really am. Maria, John, I know you organized this but I'm afraid we have to leave now." She spoke to Mr. and Mrs. Richards, who just smiled awkwardly to show that it was okay.

"Maybe we should reschedule," Mr. Richards suggested.

"That seems best," Mr. Moon said as he stood up. The rest of the table stood up, everyone feeling uncomfortable. Mr. and Mrs Richards stayed behind to sort things out with the restaurant, while the Chapmans rushed out, the Moons not too far behind them.

Kevin placed a hand on Sophie's back, only to be shrugged off. The four of them walked back to the car in silence, and Sophie only opened her car door to get her phone from the backseat.

Kevin looked at her with a concerned and confused expression, leaving Sophie to look at him with a sigh. "I'm gonna call Liam. I'll pick up my car later but I think it's best if we have some time apart," Sophie said. "We'll talk later. I just need time to think."

Kevin opened his mouth to speak but Sophie shut the door before he could. Mrs. Moon looked in the rearview mirror at her son before putting the car in drive.

"What are you doing?" Kevin asked. "Sophie needs to get in the car."

"She'll be fine, honey," Mrs. Moon told him. "Just let her be. She needs some time. You do too. This whole night went downhill very fast, and I think everyone needs some time to think everything through."

Kevin looked out the window again at Sophie, who was walking through the parking lot holding her dress up and leaning her head to the side to keep her phone on her shoulder. He sighed and closed his eyes, leaning back in his seat.

Liam, who was sitting on his couch at home eating cheese puffs, was surprised to see Sophie calling him so early. He furrowed his eyebrows and frantically picked up the phone, pausing the rom com he was watching.

"Soph? Are you okay? Aren't you supposed to be at dinner? Did something happen to the dress? Your shoes? Wardrobe change? I can be there in five minutes—,"

"No, Liam," Sophie interrupted him. "I need you to pick me up. Can I sleep over your house tonight actually? I don't wanna go home and hear my mom's questions about what happened."

"Yeah of course I'll come get you." Liam stood up from the couch, leaving the bowl of snacks in the living room and rushing to grab his keys and a pair of shoes. "Are you okay though?"

Sophie felt a lump form in her throat and tears fill up her eyes. "Not really," she answered honestly.

"Do you want me to stay on the phone with you?" he asked. A tear fell down Sophie's cheek, making way as more and more continued to fall. She sniffled and wiped some away, nodding even though Liam couldn't see her.

"Please. You have the address right?"

"Yeah, I'm already in the car on my way. I'll be there in like three minutes. Just breathe. You're okay."

Sophie tried to take his advice and calm her breathing, staring at a distant building. She listened to the sound of Liam's voice, feeling herself enter into an out of body experience.

"Soph, you still there?"

"Mhm," Sophie replied, still staring at the building.

"Stay with me. Don't lose focus," he told her. Sophie closed her eyes and nodded.

She took another deep breath and leaned against the side of the restaurant. "I'm okay," she told him.

It took Liam another minute or so before he sped into the parking lot, quickly catching sight of Sophie and pulling up in front of her. He put the car in park so when she got in the car he could hug her with full force.

She cried softly for a few seconds before pulling away, calming her breathing. "Everything went to shit," she mumbled with a bitter chuckle.

Liam put the car in drive and began to pull out of the parking lot. "Well lucky for you, I've got two half baked pints of ice cream in my freezer, comfy pajamas for you to borrow and face masks for us to do tonight. Now start from the beginning, I wanna know everything. Don't leave any details out."

Sophie nodded and sucked in a large breath. "So I drove to the Moon house right after you left my house..."

~•~

hii!!!!

look at that i updated a story two days in a row!!

now THAT is what i call progress.

i knew where i was going with everything it was just finding the motivation to write it all out ya know.

anyways ,,, thank you all for the amazing comments you keep leaving on this story. it really makes me so happy that people enjoy my writing:')

try and get outside today if you can, maybe just sit outside of your house and read or just take a walk around your neighborhood to get some fresh air.

i've been taking my dogs on walks and stuff around the neighborhood lately and just keeping my distance from the neighbors, but these past few days it's been ridiculously cold out so i haven't really done that.

but today is the day i am getting outside!! i have to go grocery shopping with my stepmom and i've been too scared to do it before this so wish me luck!! hopefully my mask is good enough.

anyways sorry for writing so much but i love you guys thank you for reading this story!!

stay safe everyone!!

dani:)