8

Kevin, Sophie, Sophie's mom and dad and her brother Chris sat at the dinner table, talking and laughing with each other. Sophie hadn't expected it to go as well as it did, but even her brother liked Kevin, and her brother was a douche to everyone.

"She fell down the stairs?" Mrs. Taylor asked. Kevin nodded with a laugh.

"She swears to this day that I pushed her but Stella is just clumsy. She used to fall all the time when we were kids, but now she just uses that time she fell as an excuse. Every time I call her out for saying or doing something dumb, she'll be like 'Well it's your fault I have brain damage because you pushed me down the stairs'."

Everyone at the table laughed and Kevin put an arm on the back of Sophie's chair. "So, how did you and Sophie meet?" Mr. Taylor asked, finally getting to the questions about them.

Sophie swallowed and looked over at Kevin. "Well, I don't know if you know but Sophie recently started cleaning my house for money." Everyone nodded and he continued. "We met the first day she was cleaning, and I was smitten with her at first sight."

He looked over at her as he said the last few words and Sophie felt herself staring back at him uncontrollably, mesmerized by him. He smiled at her and she let out a breath, her heart beating quickly in her chest.

"You guys are cute," Mrs. Taylor said. The two looked back at her and smiled. Sophie twiddled with her fingers under the table, confused about what she was feeling. She had never felt her heart beat this fast around anyone in her life, and it sent chills down her spine.

After dinner, Sophie brought Kevin back home, the two of them singing to music on the car ride there.

Sophie smiled as she pulled up in front of his house. "I don't think I'll ever get over the size of your house," Sophie told him. Kevin looked at the house and then back at Sophie.

"When I have my own family I want something cozy," he said. "Something that teaches my kids a little humility."

Sophie's lips parted as she looked at him. "You are perfect," she told him. He stared back at her, shaking his head.

"That's you."

She bit her lip as she watched him lean in once again, her heart pounding so hard in her chest. Their heart beats got louder with each second as they came closer to each other's faces. But, of course, a car horn sounded behind them and they pulled apart, Sophie shaking from the sudden sound.

She looked in the rearview to see Jacob and Eric behind her. Kevin reached over to take her hand and looked at her with a smile. "I'll see you Saturday."

She nodded and squeezed his hand. Not wanting to leave the moment with nothing, Kevin leaned over and placed a kiss on her cheek. Sophie looked back at him, trying to contain herself as her face turned red. She watched as Kevin's own face turned red, and then as he smiled and practically ran out of the car.

Sophie watched him meet Jacob and Eric behind her car, smacking both of them on the arms. She chuckled and pressed her fingers to her cheek, butterflies in her stomach.

As she pulled away, Kevin turned around to watch her, Jacob and Eric laughing at him. "Bro," Eric called out. Kevin turned back to them once Sophie was out of sight. "You're so whipped."

"Your point?" Kevin asked.

Eric and Jacob raised their eyebrows, surprised at his response. "Damn, you better ask her out soon or you might go insane," Jacob told him. Kevin chuckled and nodded.

"Too late for that."

Sophie got back to the house and walked in to find her family sitting in the living room together. She sat down next to her 15 year old brother and rested her head on his shoulder.

"I like him," Chris whispered as they watched the television. Sophie smiled. "He clearly makes you really happy."

Sophie nodded. "Yeah, he does."

Chris smiled with her and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "As long as you're happy," he told her, kissing her forehead. She leaned into him and sighed, thanking the universe for an incredible, supportive family.

She felt bad for lying to them, but maybe she wouldn't have to soon enough. She was hoping either her or Kevin would get the guts to make a move on the other.

She wasn't sure when her feelings for Kevin grew the way they did, but she was sure that they were strong and that she needed to do something about them soon or she would go crazy.