15

Sophie and Kevin walked into a small restaurant a few blocks from Sophie's house. She knew about it, but had never actually been to it due to financial issues.

"Kev, I can't afford this," Sophie whispered, tugging on Kevin's sleeve.

"Well it's a good thing you're not paying," he whispered back as they walked up to the hostess stand. The girl behind the stand greeted them with a smile and looked Kevin up and down.

"Two?" she asked, clearing her throat at the sight of Sophie.

"Yes please," Sophie answered with a smile, holding on to Kevin's arm, making him chuckle.

The hostess nodded and led them to a table, seating the two of them with menus. "Your waiter will be right with you. Enjoy."

She looked at Kevin once more, biting her lip with a smirk. Sophie practically gasped as she walked away and looked at Kevin.

"Why must everyone hit on you when we go out? I mean seriously do I have a sign on my back that says flirt with my boyfriend?"

Kevin laughed and reached his hand over the table to take Sophie's hand. "Just relax. Let's have a nice dinner, just the two of us."

"I'm still not comfortable with you paying for me," Sophie replied.

"I still don't care."

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Fine. Then I'll pay next time."

"Huh?" Kevin replied. "I'm sorry, are you speaking? 'Cause I can't hear you."

"Shut up," Sophie replied with a chuckle. "Don't make a scene."

"Please, I could buy this place if I wanted to."

"You are disgustingly spoiled."

"I was kidding!"

The two of them laughed as the waitress walked over to their table with a bright smile on her face. She was clearly in her late 40s, early 50s, but her blue eyes were full of youth.

"Hi guys," she greeted them, her eyes crinkling with her smile. "How are we doing tonight?"

"Good, thank you," Kevin spoke before Sophie could, smiling back at the waitress. Sophie watched him, hearts practically in her eyes as she watched him gently speak to their waitress.

"Great, can I start you off with some drinks?"

Sophie and Kevin ordered their drinks, and then a few minutes later they ordered their food. Sophie stared around the restaurant in awe while Kevin stared at her in the same way.

"Do you think our portions will be tiny? I hope not for what you're paying," Sophie thought aloud, still looking around. Kevin chuckled and reached over the table to take her hand again.

"Look at me," he spoke softly, softer than Sophie had ever heard his voice. Captivated by him, her attention was immediately brought down to his face, and her stomach was filled with butterflies by the look in his eye.

Sophie swallowed hard. "You make me crazy," she said, though she didn't mean to say it to his face. Her eyes widened and she cleared her throat, making Kevin smile.

"Ditto."

Sophie took a breath and sat up straight, removing her hand from underneath Kevin's.

"What time are the boys leaving tonight?"

"Around 9. We've got time. I just wanted to treat you to a nice meal. And talk about how Liam got my number so he could text me at three in the morning last night."

Sophie's eyes widened. "He told me he was taking your number down in case he couldn't get to me while we were together."

Kevin grimaced.

"What did he say?" Sophie asked.

"The usual best friend stuff. That if I hurt you he would kill me 'the gay way' but also that if I ever found myself feeling attracted to a guy that he should be the first one I contact so he could 'show me a good time'."

Sophie swallowed, blinking blankly at Kevin. "I don't know what to say."

"Yeah, if you could just tell him to chill with that, I would appreciate it."

Sophie nodded. "He was probably joking but like holy shit."

Kevin chuckled awkwardly. "Yeah. But whatever it's over now. Let's enjoy our date."

He wiggled his eyebrows and Sophie giggled, rolling her eyes.

"You're an idiot."

After a little while, the two of them got their food, and Sophie was excited to see that there was in fact an entire portion in front of her. Smiling like a little girl, she put her napkin on her lap and picked up her fork, ready to dive in.

"You are so cute when you're excited," Kevin told her before beginning to eat his own food. He kept an eye on Sophie, watching as she moved the carrots on her plate to the side. "You don't like carrots?" he asked.

"No," Sophie replied bluntly.

"Why?"

Sophie looked up at Kevin, taking a deep breath.

"You're gonna think it's stupid."

"I won't. Pinky promise."

He put his pinky out in her direction, waiting for her to finish the gesture. She sighed and linked her pinky with his, putting her fork down.

"A few years ago I was at a family picnic, our usual Fourth of July get together. Everything was fine, it was all great until my Uncle Larry took a carrot and popped it in his mouth, only to choke on it."

Kevin put down his own fork, staring at Sophie intently. His eyes were wide, listening with great interest.

"He died that day," Sophie explained sadly. "I'll never forget it. Now, eating carrots just brings back that memory, so I just don't do it."

Kevin gasped. "Are you serious?" he gawked.

"No," Sophie answered honestly. Kevin's mouth dropped, making Sophie laugh. "I don't even have an Uncle Larry. I just don't like carrots."

She smirked at his expression, popping a piece of broccoli in her mouth.

"Y-You—," Kevin stuttered. Sophie laughed again and reached over to close her boyfriend's mouth.

"Don't keep your mouth open like that," she scolded him. "You'll draw too much attention to yourself."

Kevin stared at Sophie with his eyebrows furrowed, shaking his head. "You're a snake," he told her. "A cold, lying, manipulative snake. But god you're hot."

Sophie laughed and lightly kicked him under the table. "Control yourself," she said.