Chapter 8 | Sophie

"Are you ready for some serious firework action?"

Sophie was a bit excited, after all, it wasn't every day that you saw fireworks fired off from an island. "I guess so,"

His face changed into something more understanding and warm, "You're worried that we'll get busted."

Sophie sighed, "It's just, I worked so hard to get into this school, I don't want to get kicked out of it." She had worked endlessly to get good enough grades and wasn't about to let some stupid idea that someone had ruined it.

"I get it"

"No, I don't think you've ever been nervous to pull a prank."

Something showed on his face, "Well, yeah, but I also have been pulling stunts like this for years—‌mainly to annoy my dad though."

Sophie chuckled, that did sound like Keefe, but, "What do you mean, to annoy your dad?"

He took a deep breath and quietly mumbled, "Because we don't have the greatest relationship."

Oh. "Why?"

She could have sworn she saw something flash in his eyes, but the second she noticed it, it was gone. 

"Because I'm not an exact replica of him." He said through a breath.

Sophie's heart cracked at his words, "That's not bad though, and I think you're great just being you, because our family doesn't decide who we are, believe me, it drove my parents crazy."

Keefe

"That's not bad though, and I think you're great just being you, because our family doesn't decide who we are, believe me, it drove my parents crazy."

He didn't know how much he needed to hear those words until she said them, no one had ever said that to him. He hardly trusted his voice not to crack, "Thanks."

She smiled at him, "Anytime." She settled down onto the sand laying down resting her head on her hands which were tucked beneath her head.

Though there was something to her smile that made him sad. "What did you mean by, it drove my parents crazy?"

She looked down at her shoes, averting her gaze from his. "Grady and Edaline aren't my biological parents."

Grady and Edaline must be her guardians then.

"My real parents died in a car crash when I was twelve, they weren't the greatest to me." She murmured raising her head and looking him in the eye. "My dad often came home drunk and yelled at my mother." She said before continuing, "And my mother always had her face plastered with makeup and she ran her own makeup and fashion line, Maya Foster Fashion. She stuffed me into frilly dresses and forced me to attend parties with all fancy and snooty people—no matter how much I hated them."

Wow, and he thought he had a lot of life problems.

"When they died, I was sent to be fostered by Grady and Edaline, they eventually adopted me, and I've had my mom's best friend and advisor run the company for me ever since then."

She easily could have ten times the amount of life problems then he had. "How do you deal with it?" Was all he asked.

"I don't think I do, the only friend I've ever had since then is Biana, and I ignore pretty much anyone besides her, Grady and Edaline." She answered, the tone of her voice showing that what she spoke was the absolute truth.