23 | dirty little secret

Začít od začátku

"Miles." Robert held his hand out like he was sealing a business deal and not greeting his only son. Only child.

Miles stared at his father's hand like it was radioactive. Eventually Robert got the message that Miles wasn't going anywhere near his hand and pushed it back into his pants pocket. Jensen swallowed hard as she looked between them.

When Miles looked back up, there was no love in his eyes. It was stone cold. Jensen fought the urge to take his hand. "Why are you here?"

"Can't I come see my son?"

"Not that you've tried to in the past," Miles said, "but no."

"I heard you were working on a film."

Miles looked around at the set surrounding the two of them. He crossed his arms. "What tipped you off?"

Robert sighed. "There's really no need to be rude, Miles."

"There's really no need for you to be here, dad."

"I wanted to see what you were working on."

"Then read an Entertainment Weekly. It's been eleven years, I don't need a personal visit."

Robert looked at Jensen with a harsh gaze. She could see where Miles had got his eyes. And she hated how icy Robert's were compared to Miles' ocean waves. Jensen fought the urge to look away. His lips turned into what was possibly supposed to be a smile but looked more half-sneer than anything else. "You must be Miss Rhodes."

Jensen cleared her throat. "Jensen. Yeah."

"Robert Walker," Robert said. "I've seen you in the tabloids with my son."

"Um—"

"Leave Jensen out of this," Miles said. Venom on his tone. There was a deep crease in between his eyebrows. "You need to go. Actually. How the fuck did you get here in the first place? This is a closed set."

"I own this studio."

"No, you don't."

"I do now."

Miles threw a hand up in the air and shook his head. "For fuck's sake, are you serious?"

"This is a business, Miles," Robert said. "It's how it works. Yes, I bought the building."

"So you just happened to buy the studio I was working with?" Miles asked. "While I was working with it? Of course. Sounds about fucking right."

            "Is that beard part of the movie or are you trying to look like a slob, Miles?" Robert asked. "And that tattoo is massive. Are you trying to lower your chances of getting roles?"

            "Oh, wow, I missed this so much."

            "I'm just saying it's not very professional."

            "You need to leave."

            "I own the building," Robert said. "I'll stay as long as I want. We have to talk. And if it means having to come down here while you film, so be it."

            "Where do you get off talking about professionalism before saying something like that?" Miles asked. His fists balled and unballed at his side. "You're going to stalk me until I talk to you? Why didn't you just pick up a fucking phone?"

            "This isn't something that should be discussed over the phone." Robert tapped his foot like he was beginning to get impatient with Miles. Jensen wanted to pull him away but thought that might cause more chaos. Robert gave her a side-eyed glance before looking back to his son. "Or in the company of other people."