8 • Animal Shelter

Eugene

I didn’t get the chance to talk to Ethan at school. We did have a few classes together but we were either working or too far away in the classroom to communicate. Even though I didn’t get the chance to talk to him, I did notice how he was alone. Last year he had friends but this year it was as if his friends just ditched him.

It was sad really but I wasn't sure if there was anything I could do. Ethan seems to be the type of guy with a lot of walls and you had to work to get passed them. I never knew the guy personally until this year. I knew of him, but until we were paired together, we had never spoken.

<×><×><×>

After school, I looked at the message from Ethan. He sent me the address to his workplace. The address was familiar but I wasn’t sure what the business was. 

I guess I’ll have to find out when I get there.

Sitting in my car, I started the engine before pulling out of the parking lot. 

Driving there took a little over ten minutes and when I pulled into the gravel parking area, I realized that the building was a dog shelter. They took in many animals like cats, some reptiles but the main animals were dogs, specifically Pitbulls. What I found rather surprising was that Ethan didn’t seem to be someone who would openly play with animals. Call me stereotypical but loners aren’t exactly known for playing with puppies.

Either way, I made myself towards the building. It looked like a well-renovated warehouse with a nice light blue - almost white - paint coat. There was a cheesy cartoon of a dog with a bone in its mouth. Under the cartoon was, in bold letters, it read Malvern Animal Shelter. 

The minute I stepped inside the shelter, I could instantly hear the dogs barking in the back. The front desk was stationed off to the side and there were three doors a few feet apart. One of them was a storage room another was a bathroom. How do I know this? You may ask.

There was a sign on the door.

The other room, I assumed, was what led you to the dogs. 

By the desk was a sign that read ‘See a touching moment or a positive impact? Record the video so the staff can add it to the website’. It seemed the shelter liked when people recorded touching videos to help them document real, happy results. That was a very smart way to advertise.

Talk about real people.

My attention turned to the receptionist, who had been patiently waiting for me to finish looking around. She smiled “good afternoon, are you here, looking to adopt or donate?”

Offering a smile, I spoke to the woman “well I’m actually here to meet with Ethan for a school project, if that’s all right” I pulled out my wallet “and actually, I would like to donate.” Her eyes widened the hundred dollars in my fingers. She, still in shock, pointed to the donation box. I couldn’t help my smirk as I slid the bill in the box. “Now..” I brought the subject back “Is Ethan here?”

The woman soon regained her senses “Oh, yes. Just go on back” she smiled, nodding her head toward the door “you have to walk past the dog crates to the next door. He is currently attempting to train some of the dogs” 

Attempting?

Giving another wave, I head into the back. Down the rows of dogs, there was a unique mixture of colors on all the dogs. They seemed excited to see a new person. Their kennels were different sizes based upon the size of the dog. They were clean, roomy and had the necessities for each dog. Soon I was at the end of rows. There, stood another door.

When I opened the door, I could see dogs surrounding a guy. He was lightly laughing as he stumbled from the amount of movement around him. 

Walking closer, I realized the boy was Ethan. Without really thinking, I took out my phone and began recording for the website. 

Ethan was smiling as he ruffled a larger dog's scruff. This was the first time I had seen him smile. He really must be an animal person.

Ethan laughed and did his best to tame the pack of dogs who wanted the bag of treats in his hand.

He had a smile that showed dimples I didn’t realize he had. The guy acted all tough but he was a softy when it came to dogs. I couldn’t help but smile at seeing a glimpse of him like this.

After a few more seconds of watching, I stopped the video and walked over with a smile. Ethan noticed my presence and straightened up. The dogs finally turned their attention on me and soon I was knocked to the ground by a Saint Bernard. Ethan winced but honestly, the dog was cute and I didn’t mind. Laughing lightly, I gently pet the dog. Ethan gave a slight smile and offered his hand. He helped hoist me up, even though I didn’t need the help.

“Sorry about that” He chuckled softly and ruffled the large dog’s fur “They are still working on their obedience training”

Shrugging, I smile “I didn’t peg you for a dog trainer”

Ethan scrunched up his nose in a - dare I say - adorable way and shook his head “I am definitely not a dog trainer but these guys need some work done if they want to get adopted. People usually return the dogs they can’t control or manage.” 

The both of us exchanged soft, knowing looks before Ethan offered another smile “I suppose we should get to work so help me put them in their kennels and we can get started on the project”

Without much hesitation, we began to put the dogs away in the right kennels. I didn’t know managing so many dogs would be so difficult so I’ll give Ethan a bit of credit for that. I would get too irritated and just let the dogs do as they please.

“Now,” I turned towards the pale boy beside me. His blue-grey eyes met mine “Let’s get started.”