Chapter 9: One Chance

Elijah's forehead was poring of sweat. He was confused and scared at the same time. Everything that Noah said made Elijah think of him in a completely different light. During the nightmare he told himself it was all fake and it was his mind playing games on him. But Noah's cold words and his dull eyes were burned into his memory.

"It was my head. It was playing games on me. Noah isn't like that. And that thing.....it told me I know why it's doing these things.....I don't though. How do I know? If I knew I could've saved Noah.....but if I did know.....and I didn't save him.....then it is my fault." Elijah thought to himself.

The intense feeling of guilt burrowed into his mind and his body. He couldn't go back to sleep. Not after what he had just witnessed. He turned his head and saw the time "4:27" the clock read. Elijah fell flat on his pillow and sighed. He moved his hand across the surface of his nightstand and grabbed his phone. He turned it on and began to surf the web.

Elijah heard his alarm clock scream at him and he turned his head away from his phone and turned it off. He sighed and slowly got up. His mind was racing in thoughts about the nightmare he had. It felt so real that he couldn't help but think Noah was telling the truth. He wanted advice on whether to believe Noah or not, but no one would believe him. They'd all think he was crazy. "....Except for Natsuki" Elijah thought to himself and smiled. Someone who knew it existed and had his back. She could help him. Elijah felt excited in the first time in a long time. He finished getting ready and almost ran down the stairs. To his surprise, his mom wasn't in the kitchen. He looked around confused until he saw a note.

Elijah.

I got a call from work saying I had to come in early. I'll also be working double shifts so won't be back until around 9:00. If you're hungry there's leftovers in the fridge.

-Mom

Elijah put the note down on the dining room table and made himself some breakfast. Mid way through his cereal, he got a text from Natsuki.

xX_MagicHeart_Xx: Hey.

LoRd_cHuNGus: Sup

xX_MagicHeart_Xx: Since we're neighbors and all, wanna walk to school together?

Elijah was hesitant by the question. He felt that if he walked with her, Noah would be watching and would hate him more.

"Pull yourself together. Noah is gone. I know it's hard to swallow, but he's not going to be watching you or hating you." Elijah told himself. He took a deep breath and wrote back to Natsuki.

LoRd_cHuNGus: Yeah we can.

xX_MagicHeart_Xx: Awesome. I'll be by in a few minutes.

LoRd_cHuNGus: Ok.

Elijah put his phone down and leaned back in his chair. He finished eating his breakfast when Natsuki knocked on his door. He clumsily walked up to it and creakily opened the door. He stared up and down at Natsuki who was beaming while looking at him.